XPEnology Community

Changing/editing serial number and MAC address problem

Faro

Hi,

So I’ve spent the better part of today (5hrs+!) trying to edit the serial number and MAC address and have had absolutely no luck getting anywhere. I've been using DHD's How-to guide: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1353

I’m usually good at following these tutorials but i’m stumped/confused with this one.

I am unable to get the Excel generator to give me a MAC address.

When I input my hradware’s MAC address and press F9 I get a serial number, but next to the "MAC HEX code No.1" I get “Recheck your MAC address”

I’ve been Googling all afternoon, trying different things, but I have been unable to find any answers.

Am I the only person getting this result?? Why am I getting it?

Thanks

PS. Can’t attach image (board quota reached)

R U using DSM 4.3?

For DSM5.X there is a new tutorial.

Gesendet vom C64 mit 8-Bit Soundmodulator und Datasette

This reply is utterly worthless.

If you are running XPEnoboot here is how to achieve the results you're looking for:

Modify /volumeUSB1/usbshare/syslinux.cfg on the USB boot drive and change the sn=xxxxxx to something else and save the changes.

My MAC seems to be picking up the proper address but if you do need to change it you can add mac1=xxxxxxxx to the boot line as well or mac1:xxxxx. One of those should work.

If you are running XPEnoboot here is how to achieve the results you're looking for:

Modify /volumeUSB1/usbshare/syslinux.cfg on the USB boot drive and change the sn=xxxxxx to something else and save the changes.

My MAC seems to be picking up the proper address but if you do need to change it you can add mac1=xxxxxxxx to the boot line as well or mac1:xxxxx. One of those should work.

Have you used the Excel serial/MAC generator? The Excel generator gives me a new serial number based on the MAC address and the SN HEX code changes, but does not give me a new MAC address to go along with it. The field for MAC HEX code No.1 fills in with "Recheck your MAC address".

I think, he would like to change the serial and mac to use synology Quick Connect Service.

This was possible with 4.3 and dhd's tutorial. For 5.x there is a excel sheet.

As soon as i'm home i will upload the sheet.

Question why change the serial number.

i have 2 XPenology with the same serial i do some sync and it work find. What is not working is Myds center

i have try to change the serial did work fine but still Myds center won’t work .

So is it really worth all the trouble to change the serial on the device.

have a good day

I think, he would like to change the serial and mac to use synology Quick Connect Service.

This was possible with 4.3 and dhd's tutorial. For 5.x there is a excel sheet.

Ideally the original tutorial should be updated to mention that it does not work for DSM 5.X. It would have saved me a few hours of frustration. And yes, I originally wanted to use Quick Connect because I couldn’t get the iOS apps to connect to the DS from the internet. Some Googling and reading led me to realize that I could use another DDNS service.

I signed up at NO-IP.com (free version) for the DDNS access. I got all of the iOS apps to work except for the “DS Photo+” app. Doing some more Googling and reading I learn that the “DS Photo+” app uses Port 80 and port 80 is usually blocked by ISPs! Maybe this is common knowledge to everyone, but not to me - I’m a noob.

You must set an alternate port for the "DS Photo+" app. In the DSM go to: Control Panel—> Web Services—> HTTP Service. Select (check) the box next to “Add additional HTTP port” and put in 8080. At the DDNS provider your address has to be "your IP number:8080" (minus the quotation marks obviously). This let's you use the photo app and sign into your DS from the internet.

Why doesn’t Synology automatically set up proper port access for the “DS Photo+” app when you run the EZ-Internet Wizard?

PS. There are other free DDNS services. No-IP (free version) has to be renewed every 30 days.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

I would like to know this too. I tried using the combination of random serial # and MAC address generated by excel sheet but wasn't able to use quickconnect. I always get error while trying to register. Has it worked for anyone on DSM 5.2.

Nice. I'll test it. Thank you.

So? Did it worked for you?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...