XPEnology Community

Problems installing on HP Microserver Gen8

yud

I had XPEnology running DSM 5.x as an ESXi VM on My Gen 8 for a number of years. For various reasons (irrelevant) I decided to build a new VM with a newer XPEnology and larger storage.

My setup:

HP Proliant Microserver Gen8

16GB RAM

P222 Array Controller

2 x 1TB in RAID1 for ESXi VM datastore (hardware RAID)

2 x 4TB in RAID1 for XPEnology datastore (hardware RAID)

ESXi 6.5 U2 (upgraded recently from 6.0)

I followed the tutorial and configured the VM. Unfortunately I am having great difficulties installing.

If I boot with the synoboot.img from Juns loader for DSM 6.2 (either 3615 or 3617) the VM boots up, I get the message to open find.synology.com but I cannot find the synology on the network. Tried with Synology Assist as well.

If I boot with the synoboot.img which was in the vmdk folder (older, according to the date stamp) I can find the synology, connect, install DSM, but when it reboots after installation it shows as recoverable installation and the whole thing goes in loop.

My aim is to get the latest stable boot image and DSM possible for my setup. Don't mind starting with an older versions and upgrade (if an upgrade is more straight forward than a clean install of the latest).

Will appreciate any help.

Edited by yud

On your new VM, what sort of vnic are you using? (e1000e should be the "safe" choice).

Did you configure the mac of that vnic, to reflect the mac in grub.cfg?

Did you edit grub.cfg? (make sure the mac is not already used in your environment)

Edited by bearcat

8 minutes ago, bearcat said:

On your new VM, what sort of vnic are you using? (e1000e should be the "safe" choice).

Did you configure the mac of that vnic, to reflect the mac in grub.cfg?

Did you edit grub.cfg? (make sure the mac is not already used in your environment)

Thanks for your reply.

Yes to all.

I use the 1000e NIC but have tried the others too.

I configured a unique MAC address in the VM and in grub.cfg

I used the SN generator for SN.

Edited by yud

Managed to resolve the issues. Up and running:

HP Proliant Microserver Gen8

P222 array controller

ESXi 6.5 U2

DSM 6.2.3-25426

DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01

In case it helps anyone else:

I solved it with the following setup:

HDD1 on SATA 0:0 - Juns synoboot.vmdk

HDD2 on SCSI Controller 0:1 - my ~4TB datastore

SCSI Controller 0 - VMware Paravirtual SCSI (was previously set to LSI Logic Parallel)

Then, in the VM BIOS, I changed the boot order to boot from SATA.

All good now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So what is the benefit of running a virtual machine instead of a bare metal in this instance?

I've got Gen8 but still on 6.1.7

Want to expand to more than 4 drives, but then I cannot install a new NIC in order to use anything higher.

Had so many issues with this, and not received much help here.
Took me like 2 years to figure out the "Cannot find the page" error, which lead me to having to reinstall, was due to a bad microsd card!

Edited by omar

1 hour ago, Dfds said:

@omarthe Gen8 Microserver will run DSM 6.2.3 using jun’s 1.03b loader with rhe internal nics.

But this takes up the single PCI slot, which I need for the controller card so I can add more than 4 drives.
So I cannot add the new NIC card as there is not second PCI slot

But my question here is what's the advantage of a VM?

Edited by omar

38 minutes ago, omar said:

But this takes up the single PCI slot, which I need for the controller card so I can add more than 4 drives.
So I cannot add the new NIC card as there is not second PCI slot

As I said, you can use the internal nics with 6.2.3 so there is no need to add another nic card , meaning that the PCI slot is free for anything else you want to use it for.

10 hours ago, omar said:

So what is the benefit of running a virtual machine instead of a bare metal in this instance?

For me the advantage in running ESXi is the ability to run other VM's on the Gen8. My microserver  is not dedicated to XPEnology.

I'm running Sophos UTM, FreePBX, APC Virtual Appliance and XPEnology, all running 24x7. I also have a couple of Windows VM's running occasionally (on demand).

Can't speak for others though...

10 hours ago, omar said:

Same as in any instance I would guess? 

If you run a hypervisor, you can run more than 1 VM on the same hardware.

Why would "anyone" be running something like this?

That's for us to know, and for you to find out ;-)

btw: if you want to know more about this,

or have any other questions unrelated to this thread, feel free to make your own thread,

as that might get you "the missing help in here" 😏

11 hours ago, omar said:

Had so many issues with this, and not received much help here.
Took me like 2 years to figure out the "Cannot find the page" error, which lead me to having to reinstall, was due to a bad microsd card!

1 hour ago, bearcat said:

btw: if you want to know more about this,

or have any other questions unrelated to this thread, feel free to make your own thread,

as that might get you "the missing help in here" 😏

The usual suspects have tried to help him in the past and he rejects the advice.  Also posts on something super obscure that turns out to be bad hardware on his end.

@omar please take the advice and create your own new question thread (leave this one be), and document your question as specifically and completely as possible.  We'll try and help.

Edited by flyride
  • Like 1