XPEnology Community

N40L with latest DSM 6.2.3

hansel

@billat29 Really! I did check if that hidden directory existed. I have used unix systems in the past for my work. My number one listing command at the time was "ls -ltrh", don't ask me why. I thought the 'h' was for "hidden"! 😄😴

Thank you! After remove/reboot I have got a working HP N40L Microserver with up to date DSM. Nice!

9 hours ago, hansel said:

Weird things happen.

and that's usually a point where you might consult log files to see whats going on

remember the "underlying" comment above about crashing web services

on 2nd thought the directory in question is ./xpenoboot, i always forget that and sadly its not part of the 5.x to 6.x tutorial

reinstall might be a good option, it should set up up with default configuration, but maybe 1st try to ssh into the system now and check for that ./x... directory

you can read about it here (there are a lot of threads with that)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/26723-network-down-after-dsm-login/?do=findComment&comment=137953

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hansel said:

@billat29 Really! I did check if that hidden directory existed. I have used unix systems in the past for my work. My number one listing command at the time was "ls -ltrh", don't ask me why. I thought the 'h' was for "hidden"! 😄😴

Thank you! After remove/reboot I have got a working HP N40L Microserver with up to date DSM. Nice!

Have you been able to upload any new data after the upgrade? I think I am in the same boat like you, so just checking. Thank you.

Edited by eclairs48@gmail.com

I made the same mistake (wrong command parameters)  not deleting /.xpenoboot when I did my upgrade to 6.2.3 :-( I confessed my error in the upgrade thread.

@hansel made a very good description of what happens when you fail to do so. If you are getting those symptoms, then you have this problem.

In my case I ssh'd in and just ran the rm command and rebooted. My system is perfectly functional now.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 12:07 AM, eclairs48@gmail.com said:

Have you been able to upload any new data after the upgrade? I think I am in the same boat like you, so just checking. Thank you.

I have uploaded a whole bunch of photographs from my Android smartphone without a problem. Have you been successful uploading data in the meantime?

Besides the 3 harddisk drives, my setup also has a SSD drive. It is attached to the motherboard's SATA socket, not part of the 4 bays. Since the update this drive is not seen by the DSM system. In the BIOS I have disabled the C1/C1E option. This shouldn't affect the onboard SATA, right? I have yet to attach a display to have a look at the pre-boot to see if the BIOS does recognise the drive. The drive itself is ok, I had it attached to a SATA cradle on my laptop. 

6 hours ago, hansel said:

this drive is not seen by the DSM

If you use the original HP BIOS, this port is defined as IDE (ODD usage), and DSM do not support it.

To use this (and the eSata) port, you need to use a hacked BIOS, enabling AHCI on all 6 ports, letting DSM use all of them.

Are your pic's showing the SSD you have problems with?

As I said, it is running in IDE mode, your DSM will only support AHCI drives.

Not sure what BIOS you are running, but in the one I use (TheBay),

to enable AHCI on all ports, you need to go to Southbridge Config, SATA 4/5 and disable sata 4/5 IDE mode.

• Like 1

Downloaded the TheBay BIOS and downgraded (from 2013 back to 2011) the BIOS. Now I see the SATA 4/5 IDE disable/enable option in Chipset category. Lost a whole bunch of other settings though!

Disabled the SATA IDE option and booted into DSM 6.2.3 Update 2 with all drive attached; 3 HDD + 1 SSD with SSD attached to motherboard SATA. SSD recognized and needed quick repair. Fixed! Thank you.

283228533_2020-11-1213_30_41-hera-SynologyDiskStationennog1anderepagina-Persoonlijk-MicrosoftEd.png.9e30be0fd0ad83d6f3192664e77bb12e.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hansel said:

Disabled the SATA IDE option and booted into DSM 6.2.3 Update 2 with all drive attached; 3 HDD + 1 SSD with SSD attached to motherboard SATA. SSD recognized and needed quick repair. Fixed! Thank you.

imho your old dsm did run on ide mode (sata_....ko driver) and with 6.2 you loose this and need to use ahci or the ports are not recognized

i guess you did not read the part about pata/sata driver not working anymore with 6.1./6.2

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9508-driver-extension-jun-102bdsm61x-for-3615xs-3617xs-916/

!!!all sata_* and pata_* drivers are still not working because of the kernel source changes Synology did (same as in kernel 3.10.102 used and modded by Synology), as long as no one writes a patch for this I can use to fix this, it will stay this way !!! 

aslo here mentioned for 6.2.2
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/

Basically what is on the old page is valid, so no sata_*, pata_* drivers

looks like i did not explicitly mentioned it in the 6.2.3 thread, just suggested to look in the older ones for more information

2 hours ago, richv31 said:

also, note that HDD hibernation is broken in 6.2.3/1.03b in case you try to use it....

not really (its not a driver problem or anything deeper), its just some log activity preventing it and if you get rid of that it will work again, done like here:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/32861-hdd-fail-to-hibernate-after-upgrade-from-622-to-623/?do=getNewComment

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, hansel said:

What's the drawback of using AHCI compared to SATA? Is there any? 

sata might be more often used for the connector, the mode it operates can be old ide one and the newer ahci

now days you usually only see ahci, the old ide mode was just on older systems and for compatibility to older os

the ahci driver is natively used by synology an all models and is part of the kernel, so whatever happens to driver support, this should always work

i point out at the 6.2.2 compatibility problems (longer time no compatible drivers) or the still existing scsi/sas problems with 918+

i did not wanted to say you should have read this before updating, its more about that its not voodoo, there is a fully logical explanation what happened

in theory you would have been able to see in dmesg (or lspci) that there is a pcie device for the controller but no driver is loaded and that pcie device would have been able to track as ide mode of the intel chipset controller and with its pci vendor and device id it would be possible to see what (kernel) driver is needed and at this point you would see that the driver is not present in the driver store of synologys dsm and the extra.lzma

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a Windows 10 N40L like @hansel with Moded  firmware from 2013, original onboard NIC, 8Gb none ECC RAM, Sata expansion card & AMD Graphics card for HDMI output. 

I have a spare flash drive and new 4xHD ready.  I would like to wipe it and install CLEAN DSM 6.2.3

Guessing first thing is to change bios to TheBay. 

Will I be able to use the gfx card or best to pull it out ? 

Can someone Please provide the steps I need to get 6.2.3 installed or point me to a working guide. 

Edited by Marskid

It depends what you are trying to achieve, if you just want to run DSM on the box across the 4 drives then you don't want either the SATA expansion card or graphics card. The BIOS you have will do. You just need to make sure that the drives are in AHCI mode and that C1 is disabled in the BIOS. You will need the 1.03b DS3615xs or DS3617xs loader and 6.2.3.

There's a whole lot of information listed here:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/36294-dell-r510-12bay-baremetal-requirments/?do=findComment&comment=174827

You can ignore references to setting csm / legacy mode because that is all the N40L has.

• Thanks 1