XPEnology Community

Losing Network Connection (LAN activity goes dark) During 6.1.7 w/ 1.02b Install

Hello all,

TL:DR; LAN goes dark on reboot after initial install, kills connection to LAN and cannot be found on find.synology.

First time Xpenology builder. Attempting to do fresh install 3615xs 6.1.7 with Jun's loader 1.02b on a UNAS 401 pre-built:

- Celeron J3455

- Asrock 3455-ITX (BIOS 1.80 latest)

No problems following instructions to make the bootloader, system boots to USB no problem.

Problem:

- On first boot, everything was working as expected. Device was recognized on find.synology.com, proceeded to install 6.1.7_15284 .pat.

- 10min timer started up as part of install process, but when machine rebooted, all access LEDs on the ethernet port shut off and the device wouldn't reconnect to the network.

- Had to reflash bootloader to get the ethernet working again and accessible via LAN, and find.synology said that the device could be "recovered"

- Attempted "recovery", device restarted again with another 10min timer and LAN cut as with before.

What I've tried:

- Reflashing 6.1.7 several timers, double checked grub.cfg

- Tried extra.lzma via OSFMount -- no discernable difference

- 6.2.3 with 1.03b bootloader and couldn't even get the DiskStation to be discovered on find.synology

Could this be an issue with the MAC address? I've left it at default in grub.cfg because I can't connect the device to the network to see what the MAC is -- and the brief time it was connected, the MAC address listed in my router settings was recognized as the default grub.cfg address...

Very stumped, followed all the directions to the letter.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions,

E

1 hour ago, yeastring said:

- Had to reflash bootloader to get the ethernet working again and accessible via LAN,

when installing the process also installs a new kernel (zImage, rd.gz) to the loader (2nd partition)

not a typical problem you have there, no idea what might go wrong

Could this be an issue with the MAC address? I

no thats only important for WOL

6.2.3 with 1.03b bootloader and couldn't even get the DiskStation to be discovered on find.synology

in most cases thats because of 1.03b needs csm/legacy mode instead of uefi (and also the non uefi boot device for usb needs to be selected)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

- Celeron J3455

- Asrock 3455-ITX (BIOS 1.80 latest)

why not 1.04b with 918+? the hardware is close to the original 918+

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

when installing the process also installs a new kernel (zImage, rd.gz) to the loader (2nd partition)

not a typical problem you have there, no idea what might go wrong

no thats only important for WOL

in most cases thats because of 1.03b needs csm/legacy mode instead of uefi (and also the non uefi boot device for usb needs to be selected)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

why not 1.04b with 918+? the hardware is close to the original 918+

1.04b with 918+ worked perfectly. Reflashed, did a clean install and everything is working perfectly.

Thank you so much!