XPEnology Community

Upgraded 5.2 via DSM - options to recover?

inflikt

Hey all, so i kinda f'ed up and upgraded my xpenology system from 5.1 > 5.2 within the system and now my system wont boot. What are my options here that dont involve losing data? Fresh install? Getting a 5.2 bootloader? Any help would be much apprieciated.

Thanks!

Yes. You do need to have a bootloader that matches the version of DSM you are trying to run. And as you have found out the hard way, you need to follow procedures documented in this forum to do the upgrade. If you try an inplace upgrade, then there is a good chance that the process will also overwrite your existing boot loader and make it inoperable.

In theory, you can obtain the correct version of the bootloader for 5.2, make the changes necessary for your system and boot from that. It should then recover the system and the data.

The problem you will face is that 5.2 is so old that I doubt whether the members here will remember much about it and you will need to spend time looking through the archives to find the information you need.There might be some additional steps for going from 5.1 to 5.2.

You can't jump straight to the latest release of loader and DSM. DSM needs to be upgraded to some intervening releases on the way.

You also have the option of mounting your disks under ubuntu (or other linux), extracting the data and then doing a fresh install and starting again. You will lose all your settings that way.

I suggest taking the time to go through the forum and look for instructions for the 5.1 to 5.2 upgrade. If you have specific questions on the way, then you can post them and see if anyone can help.