XPEnology Community

XPnanoboot on an nuc i3 (ethernet issues)

mXfored

Hello,

using the search, mainly russion/frensh topics have been found related to nuc - iam not able to read them sorry.

I am planning to run the the Synology build on my nuc i3 with an externa eSATA jbod raid and an internal SSD for the OS.

UPDATE1:

- I tried nanoboot https://app.box.com/XPEnoboot but it seems my ethernet card is failing to init.. AFAIR nucs using an e1000e - but it has to be a quiet recent one.

- booting up looked ok though, just cannot find the DSM using the assitent ( due to the offline eth0 adapter )

- Booting from USB is not trivial with NUC due to all the issue. My trick is using 2 USB sticks, this way both get recognized..using one..you cant even select one to boot (what intel did here is horrible..so fragile) - even with the latest bios.

a) So my question is, if there is a more recent e1000e nanoboot image?

b) what are the login credentials for the nanoboot image - maybe i can fix it myself?

c) shall i try a USB2eth solution?

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

Hi, is there a particular reason that you want to use a NUC with the Xpenology/DSM software?

The thread you linked to clearly has the user running Xpenology/DSM on an HP N54L Microserver. He is using a NUC with XBMC (probably attached to a TV) to playback his media from the Xpenology server.

There no inherent problem running Xpenology/DSM on the NUC, but the beauty of the DSM software is the storage management features. For example, if you were to attach an eSATA JBOD/RAID enclosure with 4 X 4TB HDD, it would be presented as single 16TB drive to the DSM software and any redunancy/recovery potential is lost at least through the DSM software.

Hello,

Until now, i had a ubuntu installed on the nuc ( since debian had issues booting the time i tried it...due to the NUC being a PITA in those terms). I mounted the Zyxel using NFS and installed Plex on the nuc, and some minor stuff. But if you compare write speeds with native-nuc eSATA and zyxel...thats just awesome. 462MB/s read, 150MB/w with nuc .. while having arroudn 8MB/s on the zyxel (when running a raid1 on mdadm base ). Its a huge plus having nuc + esata running compare to nuc + seperate NAS.

Now iam using a eSata attached RAID1 icybox with and additional internal SSD for the OS. I have a Zyxel 325v2, but i want to consolidate things. I even mixed up things, i dont have an i5 build in, but rather and i3. Havint this solution, i have a superior performance.

Iam very familiar with proxmox and esxi, iam running huge infrastructures on those, but i think that is plain waste for the home-usage case. Its wasting performance ( esp. IO wise ) for the solution.

- I tried nanoboot https://app.box.com/XPEnoboot but it seems my ethernet card is failing to init.. AFAIR nucs using an e1000e - but it has to be a quiet recent one.

- booting up looked ok though, just cannot find the DSM using the assitent ( due to the offline eth0 adapter )

- Booting from USB is not trivial with NUC due to all the issue. My trick is using 2 USB sticks, this way both get recognized..using one..you cant even select one to boot (what intel did here is horrible..so fragile) - even with the latest bios.

a) So my question is, if there is a more recent e1000e nanoboot image?

b) what are the login credentials for the nanoboot image - maybe i can fix it myself?

c) shall i try a USB2eth solution?

Your questions/additions:

Iam very pleased with the "hidden raid1" feature using the icybox. Both drives can be read as single drives on failures without issues - most of the NAS raids fail hard on this, making nas-hardware failure a plain nightmare. I dont need, by all means, a transparent Raid on the NAS OS.

To be honest, i am pick Synology just due the Photo Station - anything else offered is convenient, but not needed. I can setup AFP / Timemachine / btsync myself in pretty much no time

I have 15 years of linux knowledge and hope to get this running with some help. Hopefully!

• 8 months later...

@mXfored

You still there ?

I am thinking of trying xpenology.

I was curious about your statements :

I am very pleased with the "hidden raid1" feature using the icybox. Both drives can be read as single drives on failures without issues - most of the NAS raids fail hard on this, making nas-hardware failure a plain nightmare. I dont need, by all means, a transparent Raid on the NAS OS.

>>For Icybox : which one are you using ?

>>For "Both drives can be read as single drives on failures without issues - most of the NAS raids fail hard on this"

What do you mean by that ?

>>For : I don't need, by all means, a transparent Raid on the NAS OS

What do you mean . . . transparent Raid ? You are using the "Large" raid function on your Icybox ?

If you have a minute I would be interested in your answers.

Thanks,

Kent

San Francisco