XPEnology Community

MAC and Serial Update for Q2 2015

wakkawakka

Seeing as we are now in Q2 of 2015 and most people are likely using Xpenoboot 5.1-5022.3 and either DSM 5.1-5022 Update 4 or Update 5, I was hoping to get a fresh thread going about MAC and SERIAL.

I'm mostly asking this because it appears I'm going to have to completely redo my Xpen box since I'm unable to install Update 5 which I believe is due to me originally having a small 64GB SSD drive as Volume1 which has since been removed, making the update throw a fit about system volume which I simply cannot fix. I'm currently moving all data off the XPEN drives and onto external storage so I can redo it. =(

I googled on the subject of MAC and SERIAL and most results are old and do not specifically address the most recent builds.

Primary question for me is if it is absolutely necessary to change MAC and/or SERIAL when using the latest builds if I am only running a single Xpen box and use no-ip for my ddns service and have no reason to create a Syn account.

If there are reasons to change MAC and SERIAL please list them and more importantly if anyone has a link to or could post the most RECENT technique for MAC/SERIAL change using the latest builds it would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR: LOOKING FOR UPDATED MAC/SERIAL CHANGE TUTORIAL for Xpenoboot 5.1-5022.3 and DSM 5.1-5022 Update 4 / Update 5.