XPEnology Community

Find Synology Error--No DiskStation Found with LAN

pvb8008

Hello,

I am tying to install Xpenology on an Intel based PC and have run into a road block.

The flavor of Xpenology is DS3615xs 6.1

The motherboard is an MSI G41M-P26 with an Intel duo core processor

Specifically I get it to boot from the USB just fine but when I go to find.synology.com I get the "no diskstation detected"

Ironically, I was able to follow the same procedure and load this on an AMD based machine (Phenom II CPU) without any issue.

For grins I disconnected the two HDs I want to use for storage and plugged in one SSD with Windows 10 loaded on it to verify the motherboard, CPU and onboard Ethernet were working and they were verified as working perfectly.

It was my impression that Intel based hardware was more compatible with Xpenology than AMD.

Is there something I am not doing correctly or is this hardware incompatible with Xpenology?

Thanks for the help!

pb

Do you really want to run a NAS with only 100Mbps Ethernet?  That would be a maximum of 11 megabyte per second transfer rate.

However, the LAN adapter is not Intel, it's Atheros AR8132M. That is probably where your issue lies.  Intel CT PCIe card is US$20 though and that would solve it.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/g41m-p26/specification

Edited by flyride

On 10/6/2020 at 12:03 PM, pvb8008 said:

If it is a matter of popping in an Intel CT PCIe card then I will do it. 

Let's hope this is all it is.

Thank you Flyride for the help!

P.S.

Forgot to ask a basic question. 

When I get the new  Intel CT PCIe card, will it be plug and play or will I need a driver? If a driver is needed, how do I load it when no OS is technically installed?

On 10/6/2020 at 12:03 PM, pvb8008 said:

• 2 weeks later...

@bearcat Sorry for the late reply. I was down and out having sprained my back and just saw the reply.

I am trying install the Intel EXPI9301CTBLK card on an ECS A880LM-M motherbaord--the onboard works but it is slower at 100Mbps Ethernet. 

I went into the BIOS and disable onboard LAN and it did not work thinking that there was a conflict. I took the step to unplug the storage hard drives and plug in an SSD with Windows and then booted it up and installed the drivers for the card ( I did not see how to install drivers via Synology). I verified that the nic card indeed worked with the drivers installed.  (the card was NOT conection with Windows to this point). Then reconnected the storage hard drives, disconnected the Windows SSD butit still did not work.

You suggested a solution to "edit the MAC address in your grub.cfg to the MAC on the new nic". How would I do this? Is there documentation on this somewhere?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Peter