XPEnology Community

5.1-5022.5 update.....anybody try this yet?

manfriday

Huh... I tried to do this and my rig is saying, in red text at the Control Panel / DSM Update tab:

Insufficient capacity for this update. The system partition requires at least 350 MB.

I have 2x 2TB in here as basic disks, each has well over 500GB free........... what gives? How can I check to see what XPEN thinks my "system partition" is??

I did have a 64GB SSD in at one point but have since removed it so all I have are the 2x 2TB SATA's connected to my onboard SATA controller.

Shoot... Trying to troubleshoot this. Same error persists. Where I am looking to see what xpen thinks is my system drive?

I originally had 64GB SSD which was Volume 1 which has since been removed. I have 2x 2TB Volume2 and Volume3 i do not have a Volume 1.

What file am I looking to edit to fix this?

Congrats to those who were able to update just fine. In my case I was not able to do so.

I went ahead and unplugged my 2x 2TB drives (which had version 4) and put in an SSD. Formatted SSD and did a clean install from scratch, was able to successfully upgrade to 5.

I plugged my 2x 2TB back in (they are basic disks, not in a raid) and the system went BACK to version 4 and when I tried to update again got same error message as before.

Any ideas? How was I able to get a new install done on the SSD, successfully upgrade to version5, but as soon as I plug the old sata drives back in the system "downgraded" itself to v4 and wont let me update? Surely someone else has hit this snag?

ANY input is appreciated.. I really don't want to backup all the data to other drives and redo the whole NAS.

I had bad results when I tried to even use a SSD as a separate volume. It locked the system up solid and I had to reboot and it would never get to a login prompt. I wound up having to boot with a Ubuntu flash drive and use the shred command to shred a few sectors on every disk and then reboot with the xpenology boot loader flash drive. I only use a SanDisk Cruzr flash drive for booting. Not a SSD. I should also note that my flash drive is 16GB in size.

Edited by Guest

JMRR - Did you make any changes to the drives after initial install? In my case I had SSD as vol1 and 2tb vol2 2tb vol3. I removed the vol1 ssd awhile back and that is what caused my problems. I did a clean install but as soon as i put my 2tb drives back in my system downgrades itself to v4.

JMRR - Did you make any changes to the drives after initial install? In my case I had SSD as vol1 and 2tb vol2 2tb vol3. I removed the vol1 ssd awhile back and that is what caused my problems. I did a clean install but as soon as i put my 2tb drives back in my system downgrades itself to v4.

Hi,

I'd got lot of issues when i tried to remove vol1 (photostation database, etc...) (vol 1 = 250 GB, vol2 = 2*2 TB). I'd backup the data of vol2 on another disk, format the 2TB disks and restart from the beggining... :cry:

Good luck...

Congrats to those who were able to update just fine. In my case I was not able to do so.

I went ahead and unplugged my 2x 2TB drives (which had version 4) and put in an SSD. Formatted SSD and did a clean install from scratch, was able to successfully upgrade to 5.

I plugged my 2x 2TB back in (they are basic disks, not in a raid) and the system went BACK to version 4 and when I tried to update again got same error message as before.

Any ideas? How was I able to get a new install done on the SSD, successfully upgrade to version5, but as soon as I plug the old sata drives back in the system "downgraded" itself to v4 and wont let me update? Surely someone else has hit this snag?

ANY input is appreciated.. I really don't want to backup all the data to other drives and redo the whole NAS.

Change boot order in the BIOS? Since one of your 2TB disk still contain update 4 and your BIOS might redirected to that disk as primary boot device. Atleast this is only if you have installed the previous synology on one of those

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you may have potentially corrupted your entire setup. I accidentally ended up in a similar situation with QNAP software (through a very similar process). While these systems support hot-swapping and replacing hard drives, I do not recommend doing so with the hard drive hosting your System Volume. This tends to get installed on the hard drive set as Master in the BIOS (and I would assume that the SSD was the one you used originally). By installing Update 5 on the SSD and then putting the SATA drives back you have removed the volume which has Update 5 installed on it and are now booting from the volume with Update 4. This could either be a result of your BIOS Settings or the Jumper Settings on the Hard Drives themselves (some hard drives allow you to specify Slave/Master by sliding little plastic covers over pins).

The best option I can suggest is to backup as much of your data as you can, re-format the drives you intend to use in your NAS and start from scratch. An alternative, although I'm not sure if it will turn up anything useful, is to SSH into the server before trying to install Update 5 and run this command:

tail -f /var/log/messages

This should show any output from the Update process and may give you some more insight into what is actually going wrong.