XPEnology Community

Help - Build format Rack 1U

tomsauy

Hi all,

I currently run DS3615xs on N40L with 4 x 6To and I would like to build a new server from scratch.

I have bought a Rack for all my network, PSU, and so on and I would integrate the NAS into it to be safe and clean.

Here is my constraints:

• Format Rack 1U 2U
  • At least 8-bay
  • NVME Cache
  • Read/Write performance
  • Transcoding (if possible)

Do you have any advices / build to help me.

Some of you have already do this ? (I sure the answer is yes 🙂) but with what type of hardware ?

Thanks in advanced for your help 🙂

4 hours ago, tomsauy said:
  • Format Rack 1U 2U

i'd suggest 2HE with 3.5" hot swap, 2HE might be easier to handle when it comes to boards, cooling and pcie cards (with 2HE you can just install without a riser, just low profile cards vertical in the system board)

• At least 8-bay

with 1HE? hardly, so that will set you for 2HE

• NVME Cache

that would only make sense if there is 10G network involved and in most cases (home use) there would only be any gain when using two as read/write (one is just read cache and makes only sense when the same data are often read - not so often in a home use environment)

so you want at least two M.2 NVME slots on you board to have the option later but i dont think that will be much help and in case of updates its even  a big risk as cache m.2 support is a patch that will be lost on updating and needs to be re-done manually

• Read/Write performance

use 3 x 8TB SATA SSD instead of the 4x6TB HDD and 2 x M.2 cache ;-)

use raid10?

as long as you stick with just 1GBit nic's (100 MB/s) i dont think thats much of a concern

maybe if you go to 10G network you can think about m.2 ssd's, if you buy a board with 2xM.2 you can have that cache any time if you think its woth the money ot you see that your hdd array is not up to the task

• Transcoding (if possible)

that means intel cpu up to 9th gen with intel quick sync support, usually a i3 to i7 desktop cpu but i guess a xeon with gpu is also possible

Hi IG!

Thanks for those information!! 

I currently run with 4 x 6To RAID 5 but performances are quite good, more often around 50MB/s. I suspect actual CPU is too poor for RAID5 computing, but that why I also think about adding SSD Cache (and also to prepare the future 🙂 but I understand and I agree with NIC card 10Gbits)

Do you have any HW suggestion about Case ? Motherboard ? PCIe carte ?

One more time thanks for your interrest 🙂

• 2 months later...

I like these generic 2U cases, since they can mount microATX boards and some variations can mount standard ATX PSU sizes. Downside is you're going to have a hard time getting a good 80mm fan style ATX PSU now, so I've gone on to use SFX PSU to give enough space for the PSU fan to get airflow.

Hengyu 4 6 8 12-bay 2U rack-mounted server Industrial storage box Multi-bay hot-swappable chassis

Edited by richx