XPEnology Community

Unable to create image file for Linux (USB bootdisk)

tdjtdj

Hello Everyone, 

Hope everyone is well, I have a problem which I don't think it has anything to do with Xpenology but here goes. I'm trying to create an image file when using these apps; (Win32 Disk Imager & Etcher) Long story short, I extract the DS3615xs MOD v.02 6.1 Jun's 1.02 and extract synoboot.img then create the image from that file but the disk doesn't contain any info once finished. The folders which should show up are not there i.e grub, etc...

Has anyone experienced this issue?

Does anyone have the correct steps in creating a Linux USB bootup disk for Xpenology?

I broke the cardinal rule and erased my working USB bootdisk, since the steps look so easy I felt confident, boy was I wrong.

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks

Edited by tdjtdj

you should user "Win32DiskImager 1.0" and in there is a option to only save the allocated parts of the disk, that will result in a file that#s as small as the original file you used to create the usb flash drive, the Win32DiskImager  needs to be started with high privileges (run as administrator when using right mouse button)

try to open the img file with 7zip, current windows 10 does have problems with the arrangement of the img

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/29872-tutorial-mount-boot-stick-partitions-in-windows-edit-grubcfg-add-extralzma/

15 hours ago, tdjtdj said:

Does anyone have the correct steps in creating a Linux USB bootup disk for Xpenology?

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

Hello IG-88, 

I really appreciate the update and link, unfortunately using Win32DiskManager still doesn't create a proper boot disk. I followed the instructions above (link) and redownloaded everything just to be in sync with the instructions. Let me give you all the steps I'm taking.

Everything is being run as Admin

- insert USB

- use diskpart for creating partition and formatting. Steps below:

- diskpart, select USB stick (drive 2), clean, create partition primary, select partition 1, format fs=ntfs quick

- use mount, edit the cfg

- use Win32DiskImager 1.0 and selecting "Read Only Allocated Partitions"

- take out USB and plug it into my system 

- all I get is a blinking underscore (USB is the first disk for boot up).

The system I'm using to run it on is the same system I've been running for years along with 5.1 DSM.

Also I'm able to use Win32DiskImager to create a boot disk from Linux Mint ISO with no problems.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

On 10/4/2020 at 6:58 AM, tdjtdj said:

I extract the DS3615xs MOD v.02 6.1 Jun's 1.02 and extract synoboot.img

Do you extract/unpack the contents of the synoboot.img ?

On 10/6/2020 at 5:57 AM, tdjtdj said:

use diskpart for creating partition and formatting

No need to create/format the USB,

just use: diskpart /clean then write the synyboot.img directly to the USB,

as Win32Diskimager will take care of the partitions.

Try writing a unedited synoboot.img file to your USB (after diskpart /clean) and verify that it can boot,

before trying to edit any files.

On 10/6/2020 at 5:57 AM, tdjtdj said:

- diskpart, select USB stick (drive 2), clean, create partition primary, select partition 1, format fs=ntfs quick

if you want to do it with linux instead of windows then there is a tutorial too

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/25833-tutorial-use-linux-to-create-bootable-xpenology-usb/

in general there is not much that can be done wrong when writing the img file to usb

the usb need to have just one partition for Win32Diskimager, no extracting or anything

if the system does not boot with it then there might be a different problem, there is also a mbr based loader for some special systems like some HP desktops

you did not write ehat hardware you are using

the loaders can be found here

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/31-loaders/

usually ist like having "synoboot_3615.zip" extracting the synoboot.img from it and using this file with Win32Diskimager

anything else can be done later with windows or linux (like edit grub.cfg or copy extra.lzma), just to check if its working in general (booting, founf in network) you dont need to edit anything in the loader, the important vid/pid is only a thing after finding it in network, it needs to be right for installing the *.pat file, the grub.cfg can be changed at any time later if needed (like serial or mac)

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1