XPEnology Community

Transcoding

muzzy182uk

Good afternoon I successfully install 1.04 918+ on to a Asus b250 board with a celeron g3930 I also have a Plex pass and I have installed the x64 version from Plex website but everything I try to transcode a video it pegs the CPU at 98% I have it set in Plex to use hardware transcoding as well but for the life of me I can't get it to work any ideas? Do I need the extra drivers to get it working properly? Also I am on the 6.2.3. latest update.

Edited by muzzy182uk

i guess you did not check if there is a device in /dev/dri to use hw transcoding and you also did not have a look at the log (dmesg)

in both cases you would easily spot the cause og plex not using hw transcoding

when using 1.04b with its own special made i915 driver (replacing the pretty old i915 from synology) it will only work up to version 6.2.2 with hardware transcoding

with 6.2.3 synology introduced its own new (backported) i915 driver and made changes to the kernel that also broke jun's driver that comes with 1.04b

you would need to install a new extra.lzma from here (download link might be down atm, will be back later on sunday)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

or you can reinstall with dsm 6.2.0 (downgrades are kind of complicated, if its a fresh install then deleting and starting over with 6.2.0 might be easier)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 11:08 PM, IG-88 said:

i guess you did not check if there is a device in /dev/dri to use hw transcoding and you also did not have a look at the log (dmesg)

in both cases you would easily spot the cause og plex not using hw transcoding

when using 1.04b with its own special made i915 driver (replacing the pretty old i915 from synology) it will only work up to version 6.2.2 with hardware transcoding

with 6.2.3 synology introduced its own new (backported) i915 driver and made changes to the kernel that also broke jun's driver that comes with 1.04b

you would need to install a new extra.lzma from here (download link might be down atm, will be back later on sunday)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

or you can reinstall with dsm 6.2.0 (downgrades are kind of complicated, if its a fresh install then deleting and starting over with 6.2.0 might be easier)

Hi IG-88 i added your driver files to my usb stick and rebooted and it worked first time thanks very much for that. 

On 10/3/2020 at 11:08 PM, IG-88 said:

• Like 1