XPEnology Community

Broken RAID0 with 2 disks. Need help on that please.

jbesclapez

Hi there,

I have an old DS2017+ that is running on DSM3.1 and my volume just crashed. I was using this NAS as a back up of my already broken XPEnology.
I need to recover those data. It happened when I unplugged the power cord by accident... Even if i was not writting thinds on the NAS.

I do not see the other drive I think...

Please help 

Thanks

image.thumb.png.2000d75c092b08b8265fcde2a2f3b331.png

BackUpStation> cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] 
md2 : active raid1 sdb5[1](E)
      385977472 blocks super 1.2 [2/1] [_E]

md1 : active raid1 sdb2[1]
      2097088 blocks [2/1] [_U]

md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1]
      2490176 blocks [2/1] [_U]

is the second disk still there after the reboot? the picture only shows one disk in the system, check the cables and dmesg log about the other disk

i guess the only way would be to force the disk back into the raid and hope for the best (doing a file system check in read only mode and if needed copy all data to somewhere else) , as its not btrfs as file system then there is no extra layer of protection

as there are no redundancy data with raid0 i dont see what else can be done, but i'm not the expert on recovery mdadm raid's

but as long as there is no 2nd disk available i dont think anything can be done

if that the copy then whats the state of the xpenology box containing you original data?

edit: jbod might have been a better option for a disk array with no redundancy? at least the the data of one file would not be spread out to different disk and the data of the disks still readable might be recoverable

Edited by IG-88

in theory (no writes to the data volume) the raid0 volume should come up clean when both drives are running again, the system (raid1 over all disks) will be faulty and would need to be repaired (you now have one system partition of the raid1 running and if the 2nd comes up again it will be out of sync - that's expected normal behavior) but he raid0 with your data might come up normal because as long as the 2nd partition is not ready there will be no writes to that raid0 so both parts will be inactive as long as they are not both ready

if it comes up again and you see no simple reason why the 1st drive failed you should not switch the system off as long as you don't have a backup, if the disk itself has a problem it might never come up again in the worst case, so take what you have a still can recover to a new drive or array

using a raid0 might be ok if you do a permanent rsync to a different system all the time but for something you rely on over a longer time ... failing disks are kind of normal in consumer grade hardware area and also in such unsafe environment like home use (there are reasons why entering a datacenter can be kind of difficult)

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/4/2020 at 10:28 PM, IG-88 said:

in theory (no writes to the data volume) the raid0 volume should come up clean when both drives are running again, the system (raid1 over all disks) will be faulty and would need to be repaired (you now have one system partition of the raid1 running and if the 2nd comes up again it will be out of sync - that's expected normal behavior) but he raid0 with your data might come up normal because as long as the 2nd partition is not ready there will be no writes to that raid0 so both parts will be inactive as long as they are not both ready

if it comes up again and you see no simple reason why the 1st drive failed you should not switch the system off as long as you don't have a backup, if the disk itself has a problem it might never come up again in the worst case, so take what you have a still can recover to a new drive or array

using a raid0 might be ok if you do a permanent rsync to a different system all the time but for something you rely on over a longer time ... failing disks are kind of normal in consumer grade hardware area and also in such unsafe environment like home use (there are reasons why entering a datacenter can be kind of difficult)

OMG!!!! It was a RAID1 I all guided you to the wrong thing. I am really sorry. AS you can see on the cat /proc/mdstat (so pissed of with myself)

However, by kind of luck i recovered some data. 
The synobox was sitting on the side of my desk... (you wont believe that) and my cat came in. Then my son came in and scared the cat, who pushed the syno to the ground.

The second disks started to make some noise....RRRR....

I opened it... to move back the head of the drive.

Now my syno is not making noise but it is discovered as a NOT INSTALLED.

However, i can still ping it.

Once, again, remember, the disk is RAID1. 

Can i attach it to my computer, or with a USB? and recover the data...

Please advise as it is now impossible on possible next step to recover those data

OMG!

Did you OPEN the drive, and moved the heads? 😬😬💩

Then you can kiss your data goodbye, unless you have a "clean-room" in the house...

btw: was this "the other" drive, or the same that you started having problems with?

btw2 : Did you do a new backup of the files, when you found out it was "just" a RAID1? As then you should have been able to get all the data from the working drive.

Edit:

btw3: Are you SURE it is a DS2017+ 😕

Edited by bearcat

19 minutes ago, bearcat said:

OMG!

Did you OPEN the drive, and moved the heads? 😬😬💩

Then you can kiss your data goodbye, unless you have a "clean-room" in the house...

btw: was this "the other" drive, or the same that you started having problems with?

btw2 : Did you do a new backup of the files, when you found out it was "just" a RAID1? As then you should have been able to get all the data from the working drive.

Edit:

btw3: Are you SURE it is a DS2017+ 😕

Hi Bearcat,

Yes I did OPEN the drive and moved an head.

The other drive is not even responding. Maybe a board issue. NO idea.

I was doing a new back up of the file but could not recover the overall... That is why i decided to open the noisy drive....

I am going to ddrescue the drive on another computer using clonezilla.... and work on the image...

1 hour ago, bearcat said:

its usually not as bad a this (maybe if you dust your rooms)

i guess i will be fatal if you do that with helium drive

when doing that at home you as last resort before throwing the drive into the bin it should be as clean as possible, you can try the bathroom and run the shower for a while to reduce the particles in the air (wait a few minutes after that you dont want water particles in you disk)

but i would not trust a drive for long when it was opened under that conditions

can be a option if there are loose things in the housing from a broken head,better to remove that stuff before trying a final read session

if the data are more important a disk like from above is better placed in the hands of professionals

also it might not have to a a whole room, a glove box with good conditions on the inside might be good enough, at least better the a normal office desk and a sneeze onto the drive

its at least worth to try both disks on a different computer for recovery and if the drives are bought together and one might have a broken pcb its worth checking the little sitcky's and compare the pcb, it might be possible to revive a faulty disk with a pcb if its the same (but thats rare when not bought together as smaller differences even in firmware of the pcb make a huge difference)

that way it might be possible to get different parts of two raid1 drives to improve the result