XPEnology Community

Emulating a USB drive as an internal harddisk

kitmsg

Hi all,

I have a eeepc 701 having 4G SSD imternal disk. Apparently it's not big enough to install DSM. Is there anyway to emulate a USB thumb drive as an internel hard drive so I can install dsm in this thumb drive?

So eventually I will have a USB thumb to boot up the xpenology, and then DSM installed on another USB thumb. Is it acheiveable?

Thanks,

Ray

Hi all,

I have a eeepc 701 having 4G SSD imternal disk. Apparently it's not big enough to install DSM. Is there anyway to emulate a USB thumb drive as an internel hard drive so I can install dsm in this thumb drive?

So eventually I will have a USB thumb to boot up the xpenology, and then DSM installed on another USB thumb. Is it acheiveable?

Thanks,

Ray

I searched and searched for a similar setup (wanted to use an external port multiplier over USB3.0 and have the drives seen as internal), and as far as I could tell nobody had previously written about being able to do it. I'm not saying it's impossible - just, it doesn't seem like anybody has successfully done it yet and written about it.