XPEnology Community

System failed to create [Storage Pool 1]

agaufres

Hello everyone,

I'm running NUTS with my virtual Synology running on vMWare ESXI 6.7

A few months ago, I started to work with the loader on a HP ML350 G5 server. It was brilliant.
I've added multiple volumes, one from the SAS 2.5 RAID bay and some other volumes from regular SATA HDD connected directly on the mainboard.
It was working fine. I was able to make some backups on the basic volumes. I started the server a few weeks later and I was able to backup again.

But yesterday, after a few months with the server shut down, I needed to do another backup. So I booted up the server, and connected another 2TB SATA drive to the mainboard.

It didn't work well. I struggled with creating the storage pool.

When the storage pool creation start, the web interface shows 'please wait' then the web interface goes down.
I have to remove the virtual disk directly from ESXI, then I can refresh the page and the Synology is again available.
WTF, it was working fine a few month before, without any updates.

When I stop the server and boot it up, it doesn't work. No ping. I have to force to shut down, remove the virtual disk of the VM in ESXI.

Then it works perfectly, but of course without the storage pool.

So I tried to restore a backup of the VM, same problem. I'm not able to configure ANY storage pool! It always take down the server.
When I get back in the interface, there's always an error saying

System failed to create [Storage Pool 1](Device Type is [Basic]) with disk drive X

I really don't understand what's happening. IT WAS WORKING fine for weeks!!
What the hell has gone wrong ?

I had 4 different volumes mounted, and now I can't even get 1.

I don't remember exactly which mod I have used, all I know is that "this mod is brought to you by Jun"

Hope we can find out a solution!

Best regards!

Edited by agaufres

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I partially solved it. The solution was to immediately create a volume from the main drive.

I figured out that if you create a volume into DSM directly after setup, I was able to create a second volume with another disk.

Let me know if it solve your problem. I'm not 100% sure that this is the fix.

Cheers