XPEnology Community

Dell T630

muzzy182uk

Question

Evening Guys i was wondering if you would answer a question. Will Xpenology work on a dell T630 the hardware is a duel Xeon E5-2630 V3 and 128gb ram the chipset is Intel Corporation C610/X99 and the raid card is Broadcom / LSI MegaRAID SAS-3 3108 and Aquantia Corp. AQC107 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet Controller as well as 2 onboard Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection i know its a very over power machine for Xpenology but i really like Xpenology software and i think it will be perfect for me but this is what i have hardware wise. Can anyone advise if this will work?

Regards

Andy

2 answers to this question

decision one would be baremetal or hypervisor (esxi?)

if its baremetal then the hardware leaves no choice - ds3617 loader and image it is because of your cpu, only 3617 supports 16 cores (8+HT), also the sas driver in 3617 is newer and works reliable (as its directly from synology as "native" driver)

to get it working you would need to have csm/legacy active in bios and also would need to boot from the legacy usb device (there might be more then one the same usb hardware, two uefi and one legacy, depends on the bios)

if the system has no csm/legacy mode then you are automatically on hypervisor or you would need to switch off HT in bios and try 918+ (HT gives you ~20% per physical core so you might lose the equivalent of 1.6 cpu cores when disabling HT)

there is a driver for aqc107 (atlantic.ko) but only in my extended driver sets (not in jun's default driver set in the loader)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

i'm not sure if the i350 will run ootb with the default drivers (i guess it should), the driver is igb.ko but when you use the additional drivers anyway it should work

3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

decision one would be baremetal or hypervisor (esxi?)

if its baremetal then the hardware leaves no choice - ds3617 loader and image it is because of your cpu, only 3617 supports 16 cores (8+HT), also the sas driver in 3617 is newer and works reliable (as its directly from synology as "native" driver)

to get it working you would need to have csm/legacy active in bios and also would need to boot from the legacy usb device (there might be more then one the same usb hardware, two uefi and one legacy, depends on the bios)

if the system has no csm/legacy mode then you are automatically on hypervisor or you would need to switch off HT in bios and try 918+ (HT gives you ~20% per physical core so you might lose the equivalent of 1.6 cpu cores when disabling HT)

there is a driver for aqc107 (atlantic.ko) but only in my extended driver sets (not in jun's default driver set in the loader)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

i'm not sure if the i350 will run ootb with the default drivers (i guess it should), the driver is igb.ko but when you use the additional drivers anyway it should work

Many thanks for that IG I saw there was a script you could run to see the CPUs properly but that's is irrelevant but I hopefully get a bit time this weekend to give it a try and will report back if successful or not I want to avoid hypervisor is at all possible.