XPEnology Community

Newb-ish comeback

ponap4

Hey everybody, newbish here. Been running a custom build with DSM5.0 I set up 10 years ago ! Running great no issues , but some packages wont update anymore for obvious reasons. 
I'm thinking of upgrading the OS to 6.2.x but I'm truly confused about the process. Its been quite a while. I've read the FAQ's etc but cant find a clear path guide to upgrade from my 5.0 to 6.2.x.
Would it even be worth the risk ? or should I just run as is until things just wont work anymore 

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 12.48.47 PM.png

up migrate you would need to update to 5.2 first

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

6.2.3 can be used with loader 1.03b instead whats written about 6.1 and loader 1.02b

there is only ahci sata support, if you use ide or non ahci sata with our system board then your best option might be dsm 6.0

what hardware exactly are you using? (cpu / board / added cards)

also use this to see what drivers are used so we could make a better estimate if 6.2 is possible

lspci -k | grep 'Kernel driver'

in most cases a direct replacement with 6.2 (without using any old config and plugin data)  and reconfiguring is faster and gives more reliable results

the raid with the user data is kept but its suggested to use btrfs with dsm 6.2 so offloading all data and completely reinstalling including all user might be the best way

also keep in mind that using >10 years old hardware and even disks that old is not wise, you should have a recent backup when using such old hardware (ok, irl you should always have a recent backup, not just when using old hardware)

Thanks IG-88 , I swapped a couple of hard drives over the years in the raid of 4 drives on raid 6, and I do have a backup of the entire thing.
these are my drivers in use:

Kernel driver in use: pcieport

Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd

Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd

Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd

Kernel driver in use: ata_piix

Kernel driver in use: r8169

as for the exact hardware I honestly dont recall the board and other than is a 2 core i3 intel processor. 

On 9/24/2020 at 10:55 PM, ponap4 said:

i'd say dsm 6.0 will work, after that we had trouble with additional storage drivers

have a look in the bios if you can change the sata settings to ahci, that would be the safe way

loader 1.02b/1.03b still had this driver but it never worked on my test system last year and my new test system does not have this old mode, its just ahci on newer systems

you can test this with a new usb and a empty disk to make sure it does work before updating your whole system

just disconnect your working usb und your disks and make a fresh 6.1 or 6.2 install with a single empty disk