XPEnology Community

DSM 4.2 working on Amd APU A8?

lmbebo

Hi

I tried to search and did not find anything. I currently have an Asus F1A55-M lE motherboard with the AMD A8. When I bought it I had the hope of turning it into a home NAS at some point when I upgrade to a core i5 or i7.

I saw this synology software, haven't seen any mention of it working on this setup yet.

Just curious if it would work or not?

I don't have a new system, so I don't wanna try and install it on my current hardware.

Thanks

Hi mate,

There is a big probability that the build 4.2 3202 or 4.2 3202 repack will work perfectly on your configuration but please do have in mind that for 4x3TB of my own, i never use more than 10% out of my 16GB of RAM and as an average, my CPU is 50% loaded at a 50MB/s transfer or 11MB/s torrent download. And i have an AMD E350N Zacate at 1,6.

What you have there, will consume a lot of power. Multiply "a lot of power" with ~8700h/year and you will have a nice addon to your existing electricity invoice. :ugeek:

Hi mate,

There is a big probability that the build 4.2 3202 or 4.2 3202 repack will work perfectly on your configuration but please do have in mind that for 4x3TB of my own, i never use more than 10% out of my 16GB of RAM and as an average, my CPU is 50% loaded at a 50MB/s transfer or 11MB/s torrent download. And i have an AMD E350N Zacate at 1,6.

What you have there, will consume a lot of power. Multiply "a lot of power" with ~8700h/year and you will have a nice addon to your existing electricity invoice. :ugeek:

On that, a sidenote. I simply can't understand people who want to jack their NAS up as much as possible. I mean, its whole point is to have a small, silent, cheap device to host your data when you can't fit all the hard drives into your PC.

I personally would vote for the new Haswell 4x50U CPUs (though they are designed for ultrabooks, I can imagine a miniITX motherboard with an integrated 4650U, 4GB of RAM, a nice dual Gigabit NIC, and 6-8 SATA ports, exactly for building a NAS). Small, energy-efficient, great performance, though not an overkill. 15W for that, 30W for the mobo and some more for the hard drives, and you got yourself a really nice home server running everything you might want (even multiple Minecraft servers!), running on around 40W under load.

Power thing is an issue. I built my current setup as cheap as possible because I needed a desktop for work. Now as I transition into a new job with a higher pay grade, I would like and need something with more power. I was hoping to move to my A8 into a nas eventually, but never considered the cost/energy aspect.

I guess I could also try to roll my own kernel, but its been such a long time since I played around with linux at that level (redhat 4.0 days).

I guess one way to find out is to try it (as soon as I can build a new system on the side) and see if it works, if not, put in a more power efficient mb/cpu combo.

Thanks