XPEnology Community

Gen8 microserver performance

eyegeegeewhy

Hi

I've just purchased a HP Gen8 microserver and set up XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.1-5022.3 for the first time.

Unfortunately the performance is not as good as i had hoped. When writing to the share over a gigabit network I'm only seeing write speeds of between 10MB and 30MB a second. I have tried FTP with 6 threads open and this only reaches a peak of 42MB per second.

The setup is a diskgroup of 3*3TB drives in a SHR raid with DSM 5.1-5022 Update 4 installed. XPEnoboot is installed on a 4gb usb key plugged into the internal USB port. I've still only got the original 2gb of memory that came with the server, will jumping to 4gb make a difference to write speeds?

What is strange is when i am writing a large amount of data to the shared folder i would have expected to have seen one of the performance graphs (utilization) peak in the GUI however CPU is only at say 10-15% , Memory 20% etc

Has anyone any ideas on what i could try to get better performance?

What kind of write speeds are you getting with your gen8's using what raid type (also how much memory)

Any help would be great.

dsm_write.jpg

Rusty, can you let me know how much memory you have in your Gen8. Also what brand/spec or hard disk are you using?

It's weird, I've removed my SHR disk group and created one basic volume on each disk to test speeds but the speeds are the same on each drive (i have two new drives and one old). So i think that eliminates the disks from the equation. Read speeds over the network are aboyt 75-80MB per seconds so i guess that eliminates the network. I've got an 4GB dimm coming next week so will try with that but from what i've read xponology is meant to be fine with 2gb of memory.

Thanks

It's just the stock 2GB, no idea what brand but I'm going to assume HP.

Can't remember what the drives are either if I'm honest. It's a hodgepodge of desktop drives; one is a Hitachi and one is a Samsung, one might be a Seagate but I'm not sure on that, the fourth could be anything.

Edit: Or I could just screenshot the model numbers...

CCu3q1p.jpg

Hiya, first post so apologies if I'm stating the obvious: please note that DSM states it's disk/network throughput in BYTES per second, not BITS, so multiply your monitor readings by a factor of 8 to compare it to your LAN wire speeds.

Your stated 10-30, peaking at 42 translates to 80-240Mb/s peaking at 336Mb/s which is actually pretty good! Although you're connected to a gigabit switch the internal bus between the NIC and storage become a bottleneck on low-end hardware like the microservers.

Rusty > very impressive, you'll not get more than 80% utilisation on an ethernet network so you're maxing it out there.