XPEnology Community

Starting from scratch

merve04

Question

So if any of you have seen a recent post from me due to file system error, I haven’t been able to fix it, so I picked up 4x 12 TB to offload my data and rebuilt my current array. I’m gonna return the 4 12’s when done, greasy but whatever. 
What i would like to know is, I will once again have a 54TB storage pool in SHR2, can i create a BTRFS volume and a EXT4 volume on the same pool? My thought is I’ll make a 1TB btrfs for just sensitive data which is duplicated twice on 2 different cloud storage and for all my apps. Second volume would be EXT4 strictly just holding media. Is this doable?

10 hours ago, flyride said:

It's a PCIe 2.0 2x bus, still 1Gbps limit and quite oversubscribed, but it seems like it would work... too bad they couldn't put a PCIe 4x interface on it.  Glad we could sort this out enough to make it tolerable for now.

I sincerely thank you for your time and narrowing down the likely cause of my issue. 

16 hours ago, merve04 said:

Interesting, but must be slow. 10 HDDs on a pcie 1x bus, ouch

if you take a closer look the you might see that both parts in the pcie slot area are same size, thats pcie2x, but there is no 2x slot so the spec is usually to have a x4 card layout for a 2x card

anyway the problem is the pcie bridge ASM1062, that will drag it down to pcie 2.0 and as the ASM1062 also only supports two pcie lanes it will also limit the performance because its not 2 lanes per lmb585, both chips share two lanes so it will have the same measly performance as the other two 8 port sata controller with a pcie multiplexer now all three  share that terrible design of a two lane pcie 2.0 multiplexer - 1000 MB/s for all ports and thats not going to be better if its 10 instead of 8 ports, looks flashier with 10 ports but its no that much use, especially when ssd's get involved

i suggest the jmb585 because of the pcie 3.0 capabilities compared with the marvell 9xxx it asmedia's sata/ahci chips

if jmb585 would be paired with a equally modern pcie bridge that supports pcie 3.0 and 4 lanes to the host then the resulting card would be interesting (and still fit into a pcie 4x slot)

4 hours ago, IG-88 said:

i suggest the jmb585 because of the pcie 3.0 capabilities compared with the marvell 9xxx it asmedia's sata/ahci chips

if jmb585 would be paired with a equally modern pcie bridge that supports pcie 3.0 and 4 lanes to the host then the resulting card would be interesting (and still fit into a pcie 4x slot)

Any particular brand you’ve found success with? Or any will do so long it’s based on jmb585 chipset?

2 hours ago, merve04 said:

Any particular brand you’ve found success with?

i choose one by low price delivered from china and one later by "is it delivered fast by amazon"

both where working ok, i guess both brands are made up and both might come from the same company in china, sold through different sellers

2 hours ago, merve04 said:

Or any will do so long it’s based on jmb585 chipset?

i'd not buy a M.2 card again, the one i bough was not stable when writing ~10-20TB data, my main concern was heat but even with thermal grease and a heatsink (with the cpu fan giving it some airflow) it had the same problems (seemed to freeze or crash), i wonder why the pcie cards come with a pretty big heatsink and the M.2 without any

beside the stable thing, these cards are very fragile and need extra support from below and even the sata cables need good guidance to not rip off the M.2 slot or destroy the pcb by sheer force

(i even tried a M.2 to pcie4x card and a pcie jmb585 card but without any extremely good special fixture there are to much lever force and i did not dare to attache any cables)