XPEnology Community

[SOLVED]Netgear ReadyNAS PRO series ???

I am waiting :smile:

Sorry for the delay, I'm trying to find the proper release of the kernel to compile the module... So far tried 4 different sources, and no luck, but I'm not giving up!

EDIT:

Seems like my last trial was successful, insmodding worked!

Download: http://sdrv.ms/13cf4ud

Usage: Just like the original img you had to write to a USB flash: write it with DiskImager, and boot it. If it wouldn't work, I've included the sky2.ko, but you'll have to manually copy it to /lib/modules/, and insmod it. After that, you should have a network interface up and running!

I'm kidding, but this could be the longest hour of my life :smile: :) :smile:

I can not wait to get home & try it out - damn work.

you'll have to manually copy it to /lib/modules/, and insmod it

I hope it works, otherwise I'll have to go & learn what insmod it means.

I'm kidding, but this could be the longest hour of my life :smile: :) :smile:

I can not wait to get home & try it out - damn work.

you'll have to manually copy it to /lib/modules/, and insmod it

I hope it works, otherwise I'll have to go & learn what insmod it means.

Insmod is a command in terminal - it installs a module (in this case, the sky2 one).

The usage is quite simple: when you copied the sky2.ko to /lib/modules (cp /wherever/you/put/the/module/sky2.ko /lib/modules/), simply call

insmod sky2

After that, the network card will be initialized, and you'll probably have to do a network interface setup (ifup eth0)

why is always a hard way ...

- without network connection, I can not access to NAS with winscp program (windows)

- without username & password in Terminal, I also can not copy files ...

Anybody, what is the username & password from Diskstation login - SSH ???

why is always a hard way ...

- without network connection, I can not access to NAS with winscp program (windows)

- without username & password in Terminal, I also can not copy files ...

Anybody, what is the username & password from Diskstation login - SSH ???

Try root - root. The username for sure is root, but I do not know the password - it is usually the admin accounts password, but as it is not set by default...

I did try everything & nothing works. Can you please check that or put this file sky2.ko in to LIB folder for me & then share it again ????

I double-checked before uploading, so that cannot be the reason, it is in the ramdisk for sure.

Try using no password, only username (simply press enter when prompted for password) - in older DSM's it worked.

I have try it virtualy & it is the same thing (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34829066/Readynas/virtualy.jpg

If network card works, I can use Assistant & creat admin`s password, wich also work later in SSH.

So, without network, my road is closed.

Is there any option to compile the build again, which will have this network supported file inside ????

Re: Netgear ReadyNAS PRO series ???

by mattyshack » 04 Jun 2013 16:27

Adding a network card is not the best or easiest solution. DSM does not have the required Ethernet driver for the x86 NetGear NAS. The ReadyNAS Pro 6 requires the Marvell kernel module [sky2.ko] be loaded for the Ethernet ports to work - not sure about other Pro models. The sky2.ko module needs to be added to the boot files [rd.gz]. Then the kernel must be told to specifically load sky2.ko because it was not compiled directly into the kernel [aka zImage].

I have try it virtualy & it is the same thing (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34829066/Readynas/virtualy.jpg

If network card works, I can use Assistant & creat admin`s password, wich also work later in SSH.

So, without network, my road is closed.

Is there any option to compile the build again, which will have this network supported file inside ????

Re: Netgear ReadyNAS PRO series ???

by mattyshack » 04 Jun 2013 16:27

Adding a network card is not the best or easiest solution. DSM does not have the required Ethernet driver for the x86 NetGear NAS. The ReadyNAS Pro 6 requires the Marvell kernel module [sky2.ko] be loaded for the Ethernet ports to work - not sure about other Pro models. The sky2.ko module needs to be added to the boot files [rd.gz]. Then the kernel must be told to specifically load sky2.ko because it was not compiled directly into the kernel [aka zImage].

I will try to create another image that forces the loading of the module, but otherwise I can't do anything else, it even puzzles me why it is not loaded by default.

• 2 weeks later...

Results:

- LAN1 working

- LAN2 working

- USB working

- RESET working (if not try to use smaller, older USB)

- SHUTDOWN working (if not try to use smaller, older USB)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- FAN regulation not working (always full speed)

- DISPLAY always shows ReadyNas (does not dim)

- POWER OFF button (false shutdown)

- WOL not working (I did try org. & fals MAC, also followed this link > http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=665&hilit=wake+on+lan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway:

- FAN regulation can be fixed with hardware

- DISPLAY does not disturb me

- UPS not working

- POWER OFF works with web interface, mobile programs (DS Finder), or shutdown sheduler

- 24/7 NAS does not need wol :smile:

OK, enough for to night...

Maybe can user Mattyshack, add some his reports.

Regards.

Results:

- LAN1 working

- LAN2 working

- USB working

- RESET working (if not try to use smaller, older USB)

- SHUTDOWN working (if not try to use smaller, older USB)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- FAN regulation not working (always full speed)

- DISPLAY always shows ReadyNas (does not dim)

- POWER OFF button (false shutdown)

- WOL not working (I did try org. & fals MAC, also followed this link > http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=665&hilit=wake+on+lan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway:

- FAN regulation can be fixed with hardware

- DISPLAY does not disturb me

- UPS not working

- POWER OFF works with web interface, mobile programs (DS Finder), or shutdown sheduler

- 24/7 NAS does not need wol :smile:

OK, enough for to night...

Maybe can user Mattyshack, add some his reports.

Regards.

Glad the network work :smile:

• 2 years later...

Was anyone ever able to get WOL working? Just dabbled in this myself and I got everything working thanks to a few posts (bios settings to adjust the noisy fans) and boot off my usb first vs onboard(in case I ever want to go back I am not flashing the onboard). The one thing I haven't been able to get to work is WOL.