XPEnology Community

[SOLVED]Netgear ReadyNAS PRO series ???

I have Readynas PRO with intel E7600 inside & 4GB RAM.

Here are some spec. for E7600 (http://ark.intel.com/products/41495/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E7600-3M-Cache-3_06-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

Is there any chance to to run on it, then please give me a chance to try DSM 4.2 on my device.

I will have it, becouse official Netgear support s.. , even with new OS 6.0.6

Like always, nothing is for free, so I will donate a bit of money for all your invested time & knowledge if this works.

What can I say ... Virtualy I allready try it out on my Desktop PC (x79-UD5, i7-3930K, 18GB DDR3, Vertex4 SSD) & I love it.

Regards.

Best thing to do is to try.

Disconnect all hard drives on the inside, connect one you don't have any important data on, then follow the installation instructions. First try with the 4.2 3202 build, if it gets stuck at "Booting kernel", try the 4.1 2668++ version. If the latter does not boot either, you'll have to compile a customized kernel, what is quite easy if you had any experience with Linux kernels in the past.

With VGA cable connected to the NAS, I can manage boot menu, to boot up with USB

I have try it out both ver. 4.1 2668++ & 4.2 3202, without any luck.

Assistant does not find Synology.

Does anybody have compiled version wich works with Readynas PRO Series .... ????

With VGA cable connected to the NAS, I can manage boot menu, to boot up with USB

I have try it out both ver. 4.1 2668++ & 4.2 3202, without any luck.

Assistant does not find Synology.

Does anybody have compiled version wich works with Readynas PRO Series .... ????

Please, instead of begging for help, follow the instructions.

What did it say on the screen? If it was stuck on "Booting kernel", it is no good. But if you saw a wall of text, then it should be up and running, except if your network card is not supported. Can you tell me the exact specs of your device? As in, NIC type (manufacturer and model), motherboard, SATA controller, etc., the really basics. With those I might be able to compile a kernel for your device, though I cannot guarantee it will work (I can't test it myself, as I have no such device).

It is not easy to find out the hardware, becouse Netgear did not announce it.

I will start with what i know:

- CPU: Intel E7600 duo core

- Memory: DDR2 800, 4GB

- Network: Yukon PXE v2.05 (Marvell)

- Motherboard: LGA 775 motherboard mini-ITX (Flame6 ver.1.1)

- Intel 965 memory controller

- Sata2 Controller: Intel ICH8R I/O

USB Boot:

- SynoBoot_3612xs_4.1++.img I see the wall text, but assistant dont find it

- DS3612xs_3202-Repack.img, I dont see the wall text

- DS411-1067-x86-20130525.img - if I select Boot DSM 2.3-1167x86, I see the wall text, i cant find it, but the router shows Synology on IP 192.168.1.46

I did try it to PING the IP (192.168.1.46), but it is unreachable.

Is the login Adress by this old ver. the same - 192.168.1.46:5000

TNX.

http://www.decryptedtech.com/storage-and-networking/netgears-readynas-pro-6-looks-like-a-pc-inside-a-nas-body

Seems odd. Could you please check the MAC address of the device? Also, try to connect the computer you are installing from to the router wired, and if you enabled it, disable isolation mode.

If the MAC address matches the usual Synology ones (00:11:32:08:xx:xx), then there should be no reason your computer cannot see it, apart from a networking problem (isolation, for one, can quite much destroy it. Had the same problem during network setup with my own).

If you can reach the webpage of the NAS after booting ([iP]/5000), then you can begin with the installation immediately, no need for the Synology Assistant (I actually prefer the web update method).

Build 2668++ does support your hardware (including network card and SATA controller, my rig is quite similar, 775 socket, ICH7 controller, but I have an extra Intel card next to the Yukon, and 2668++ works perfectly), so I see no reason, apart from badly configured network, why it would not work.

Wall text by loading is to fast to see something like MAC address

By this ver. DS3612xs_2668_4.1++ system booted & come so far, if I tap enter, system ask > Diskstation login:

Here is a picture (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34829066/Readynas/IMG_0768.JPG

However, router does not find it ... could it be the network card ???

Regards.

Wall text by loading is to fast to see something like MAC address

By this ver. DS3612xs_2668_4.1++ system booted & come so far, if I tap enter, system ask > Diskstation login:

Here is a picture (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34829066/Readynas/IMG_0768.JPG

However, router does not find it ... could it be the network card ???

Regards.

It is the network card, apparently, especially if the router cannot find it. I am not too familiar with the ReadyNAS series, but is there any chance you can add an extra PCI network card, to test?

In the meantime I will try to compile a kernel for you, including further support for the network card.

Does TP-Link TG-3468 works, becouse I can get one today in local Store ???

Here U can, that space is also limited > http://www.decryptedtech.com/images/stories/Reviews/08-13-2012/NETGEAR_ReadyNAS_Pro_6/rn12.jpg

It can be, that I also need one PCI Express Risers, but I keep my fingers crossed :smile:

It is not just that the space is limited, the header of it has to be soldered first, what is not an easy task, especially if you've never done it.

it seems, that PCI express network card does not fit in this Readynas motherboard socket ... or I am wrong ???

PCI Express Card > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34829066/Readynas/IMG_0774.JPG

Netgeard Card > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34829066/Readynas/IMG_0773.JPG , https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34829066/Readynas/IMG_0771.JPG

Fonix232, can you add Yukon network drivers to this build ???

That network card is PCI-E x1, while the socket is PCI-E x4, that's why it looks so different.

Good thing is, that the PCI-E standard is backwards compatible - even a PCI-E x16 can accept an x1 card, though it will only use 1 lane, not all 16.

Simply plug it in (the new network cards smaller ear should go into the longer bus on the connector, there will be only one way to insert it correctly so that one part fits perfectly), and give it a go.

I will compile a kernel in a few days, hope it is not a huge problem (busy time of the year).

NAS does not boot with this TP-Link network card.

Another pcie x4 card will cost me at least 45€, but it is not sure if it works.

So, for the compilation and the next support is better if I donate something to you...

Like I already promise.

Can you check the BIOS messages, maybe it is restricted, and needs some extra keypresses? As I said I have no experience with this device, it might be that the BIOS locks out any kind of different NIC, but it still should show some kind of POST message (Illegal device detected, etc.)

I will try to compile some further kernel modules later today, though if you could run "lspci" on a running Linux (Ubuntu Live is perfect) to see which Marvell-Yukon device it is exactly, I could see further.

Apparently the ReadyNAS OS does not have the pcitools package installed. That is why I said you should try booting a live Ubuntu.

"Marvell 8053 Gigabit LAN" is a pretty broad family of LAN NICs, I would need something more specific (though as far as I see, this should work with the generic Marvell Yukon drivers).

I did have some problem by USB booting in to Ubuntu 10.4 Desktop (USB), error setting up gfxboot.

Solution, just type > help (press enter) & wait

In Ubuntu, I open the terminal with Ctrl+Alt+T & type in the command: lspci (enter)

This is the results - hardware information about Readynas PRO > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34829066/Readynas/IMG_0778.JPG

OK, now I have to wait for the compilation ....

P.S.: Will all learn something new every day & sometimes this is not enough.

Adding a network card is not the best or easiest solution. DSM does not have the required Ethernet driver for the x86 NetGear NAS. The ReadyNAS Pro 6 requires the Marvell kernel module [sky2.ko] be loaded for the Ethernet ports to work - not sure about other Pro models. The sky2.ko module needs to be added to the boot files [rd.gz]. Then the kernel must be told to specifically load sky2.ko because it was not compiled directly into the kernel [aka zImage].

Adding a network card is not the best or easiest solution. DSM does not have the required Ethernet driver for the x86 NetGear NAS. The ReadyNAS Pro 6 requires the Marvell kernel module [sky2.ko] be loaded for the Ethernet ports to work - not sure about other Pro models. The sky2.ko module needs to be added to the boot files [rd.gz]. Then the kernel must be told to specifically load sky2.ko because it was not compiled directly into the kernel [aka zImage].

First of all, the kernel automatically loads modules from a specific folders (I believe it is /lib/modules/[kernel-version]/path-to-module-type/), so that should not be a problem.

But instead I would choose the solution to compile the sky2 module into the bzImage directly, then replace it on both partitions of the boot pendrive, and save the image from that. Not the best solution, but should definitely work.

I will report back as soon as the kernel compile is done, and upload it for testing (first of course I will see if it boots at all).

Great,

Sounds like you are the right guy to get this party started. Glad the sky2.ko tip helped. Looking forward to your results.

Not just helped, I already compiled it :grin:

The in-kernel built in version did not work unfortunately (kernel wouldn't boot, I need the original defconfig from 2668++'s kernel!), but the module should be working.

interested: I will create the new image as soon as I tested that the module gets installed. That should be in about an hour!