Asrock X570M pro4 no IP


Recommended Posts

Hello!

 

I've followed as many tutorials I can find, but I cannot get this working :(

Tried unraid, and while everything worked right away, I would greatly prefer XPEnology/Synology.

 

I'm using the following:

Ryzen 3400g

Asrock X570M pro4 (according to specs page: Giga PHY Intel® I211AT)

Asus XG-C100C 10gb NIC

LSI 9211-8I chipset  with 8x10tb

 

I have Tried Jun's loader 1.04b for DS918+ and loader 1.03b for DS3617xs and DS3615xs.  The official Synology files end with _23739.

 

Added the VID, PID for my usb drive. Using rear USB ports as well as an internal header for clean look.

SN from a certain place (for each of the 3 models above)

MAC for the onboard NIC as well as the 10gb (would prefer this one).

 

It loads the initial choose install method and prompts me to go to find.synology.com, but the server is never found. It does not show up as getting an IP in router either. Both NIC's confirmed working in Windows and unraid on the same hardware.

 

Upon searching for several hours I feel like I am going in a loop. There is apparently an "extra.lzma" file I can add to the 2nd partition of USB pre-install for it to recognize either of my NIC's? I have tried several found with no luck on either Intel or Asus NIC.

 

There are multiple versions found in the following threads:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13797-tutorial-installing-918-62x-dsm-on-104b-loader-transcoding/

 

Additional bonus would be having the iGPU transcoding working, otherwise I will have to swap to a 2.5gb NIC and put an NVidia GPU in, which I think I can figure out how to get working.

 

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm lost at this point. Searching for my specific board on here and general google show people using it, but zero info on how they got it working.

Edit: even a go to (specific place), get (file/version), replace (thing), you're good to go is fine. I'm getting quite familiar with modifying these files. Just seems like there are too many different places for partial answers.

 

Thank you!

Edited by DrKrieger
more info
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not a big fan of unraid for many reasons, much more comfortable with Synology/Thecus/Windows.

The setup to get it working from some reading looks like a pain in the ***, especially for someone not well versed in Linux.

I'm probably wrong, but it just seems like another point of possible failure. To me an "all in one place" is faster/easier to fix.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding your question, I also posted on the below thread. The NIC 211AT should be compatible, I had an H370M board that had that NIC and it worked but maybe their are other factors that it does not work for you.

 

Also according to Flyride on that post he said that it does not matter if your VID/PID are correct or not. It has nothing to do with your NIC.

Those VID/PID should be correct during the installation of the DSM.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, gadreel said:

Regarding your question, I also posted on the below thread. The NIC 211AT should be compatible, I had an H370M board that had that NIC and it worked but maybe their are other factors that it does not work for you.

 

Also according to Flyride on that post he said that it does not matter if your VID/PID are correct or not. It has nothing to do with your NIC.

Those VID/PID should be correct during the installation of the DSM.

 

 

 

Thanks!

 

I managed to get it to boot with the DS918 loader and the extras from "extra918plus_v0.13.3".

For some reason or another 916 and 3615/3617 do not like it even with what I think are the correct extra files. My best guess is because the board doesn't allow disabling UEFI boot according to the boot methods listed here: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

 

Waiting for it to build the volume now! 😃

 

My last issue is getting the Asus XG-C100C 10gb NIC to work.

 

I have the Asus added as mac1 and the intel as mac2 in the config file and set the number of interfaces to 2, but it's still not detected. Only driver packs I found are for the 3 models that don't work of course lol. Going to do some more searching and hoping

 

set mac1=7(snip)9
set mac2=2(snip)3

set netif_num=2

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DrKrieger said:

 

Thanks!

 

I managed to get it to boot with the DS918 loader and the extras from "extra918plus_v0.13.3".

For some reason or another 916 and 3615/3617 do not like it even with what I think are the correct extra files. My best guess is because the board doesn't allow disabling UEFI boot according to the boot methods listed here: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

 

Waiting for it to build the volume now! 😃

 

My last issue is getting the Asus XG-C100C 10gb NIC to work.

 

I have the Asus added as mac1 and the intel as mac2 in the config file and set the number of interfaces to 2, but it's still not detected. Only driver packs I found are for the 3 models that don't work of course lol. Going to do some more searching and hoping

 

set mac1=7(snip)9
set mac2=2(snip)3

set netif_num=2

That is a good start. Unfortunately I cannot help with the 10gb NIC... Keep looking around the forum. :)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gadreel said:

That is a good start. Unfortunately I cannot help with the 10gb NIC... Keep looking around the forum. :)

 

 

Much appreciated regardless! I was bashing my head against the wall for a few days trying to figure this out. A second set of eyes works wonders.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DrKrieger said:

 

 

Much appreciated regardless! I was bashing my head against the wall for a few days trying to figure this out. A second set of eyes works wonders.

 

I believe the same principles apply for the 10GB Nic. If the Synology (officialy) does not have the drivers for it, it wont work. I do not know if any of @IG-88 extras will help with that.

 

If you click this link https://www.synology.com/en-us/compatibility?search_by=products&model=DS1517%2B&category=network_interface_cards&p=1you will find the compatible 10GB PCI-E by Synology. The link is for DS1517+

Edited by gadreel
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, gadreel said:

If you click this link https://www.synology.com/en-us/compatibility?search_by=products&model=DS1517%2B&category=network_interface_cards&p=1you will find the compatible 10GB PCI-E by Synology. The link is for DS1517+

 

i'm not sure that will help, 1517+ is a different image type then 3615 / 3617 /  918+ synology groups them in family's and driver sets (native) would be for all units inside this (chipset/processor type) family, like there is a realtek driver in 918+ even when 918+ does not have a realtek nic but other apollolake units have

or the 3617 (broadwell family), it does come with a 4core HT cpu but the image comes with max 16 cores because RS4017xs+ is the same family and comes with a 8core HT cpu

 

for 918+ there will be no pcie card as this unit does not have a pcie slot and consequently no pcie nic is listed by synology and there are no (native) 10G drivers in there afaicr, no atlantic, tehuti, or intel 10G driver - all 10G drivers come with jun's or the extended extra.lzma

also the fact that a certain nic chip is supported does not imply all nic's with this chip will work, there might be newer revision of the chip that need a newer driver (and synology only sells the old type so it never gets a newer driver for a long period) or there are different phy's for die nic, i had this with tehuti nic's one older worked a newer did not even when the "cpu" of the nic was the same, not even a newer driver worked it needed some firmware files that needs to be present when compiling the driver to get it working, source from different oem usually contain only one or two firmwares for phy's so you have to watch out for a lot of drivers source to get one whole driver

in contrary the intel drivers come with all whats need to get every card with a intel chip working

thats one of the reasons its sometimes complicated to predict that a card is working

 

lately often the nic drivers are not the reason when a system does not appear in the network but its constantly blamed to the nic driver as people in most cases cant's see whats going on when booting because the console on the monitor stops working when the 1st kernel (from jun) is loaded and the start of the synology kernel would be the key, only serial console reveals it - the 3615/17 needs csm/legacy mode from systembios (also the legacy boot device need to be sellected, when both are active there will be uefi and legacy boot devices for a usb device or disk), when trying it in uefi it will stop when loading the synology kernel (2nd kernel on boot), the result looks the same, not found in network

a good test might be loader 1.02b for 3615/17 as it works both ways uefi and csm, but the ultimate way of knowing whats going on is still a serial port on the xpenology unit and a 0-modem cable to aanother computer with a console (like putty)

 

edit: now-days the 3617 seems a much better choice then 3615 as it hat more and newer drivers packed ootb  (atlantic.ko or mpt3sas.ko as examples) and looking a little into the future, the 3617 gets a new 4.4.x kernel with dsm 7.0 and 3615 does not (the later fact might enable 3617 to have a i915 driver for hardware transcoding or getting m.2 nvme cache working as the 4.4.x kernel is also used for the new units like 918+/920+)

 

 

 

 

Edited by IG-88
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

 

i'm not sure that will help, 1517+ is a different image type then 3615 / 3617 /  918+ synology groups them in family's and driver sets (native) would be for all units inside this (chipset/processor type) family, like there is a realtek driver in 918+ even when 918+ does not have a realtek nic but other apollolake units have

or the 3617 (broadwell family), it does come with a 4core HT cpu but the image comes with max 16 cores because RS4017xs+ is the same family and comes with a 8core HT cpu

 

for 918+ there will be no pcie card as this unit does not have a pcie slot and consequently no pcie nic is listed by synology and there are no (native) 10G drivers in there afaicr, no atlantic, tehuti, or intel 10G driver - all 10G drivers come with jun's or the extended extra.lzma

also the fact that a certain nic chip is supported does not imply all nic's with this chip will work, there might be newer revision of the chip that need a newer driver (and synology only sells the old type so it never gets a newer driver for a long period) or there are different phy's for die nic, i had this with tehuti nic's one older worked a newer did not even when the "cpu" of the nic was the same, not even a newer driver worked it needed some firmware files that needs to be present when compiling the driver to get it working, source from different oem usually contain only one or two firmwares for phy's so you have to watch out for a lot of drivers source to get one whole driver

in contrary the intel drivers come with all whats need to get every card with a intel chip working

thats one of the reasons its sometimes complicated to predict that a card is working

 

lately often the nic drivers are not the reason when a system does not appear in the network but its constantly blamed to the nic driver as people in most cases cant's see whats going on when booting because the console on the monitor stops working when the 1st kernel (from jun) is loaded and the start of the synology kernel would be the key, only serial console reveals it - the 3615/17 needs csm/legacy mode from systembios (also the legacy boot device need to be sellected, when both are active there will be uefi and legacy boot devices for a usb device or disk), when trying it in uefi it will stop when loading the synology kernel (2nd kernel on boot), the result looks the same, not found in network

a good test might be loader 1.02b for 3615/17 as it works both ways uefi and csm, but the ultimate way of knowing whats going on is still a serial port on the xpenology unit and a 0-modem cable to aanother computer with a console (like putty)

 

 

 

 

 

Unfortunately I only managed to get it to boot on the 918+ image with loader 1.04b, including the extras from "extra918plus_v0.13.3", but sadly to 10gbe :(

Mobo is an  Asrock X570M pro4 (Intel I211AT). No option to disable the UEFI boot on this board, so my options are limited... though I'm open to replacing it if absolutely necessary.

 

I've tried the 916, 3615 and 3617, they never get an IP, even with default or additional extra's replaced. Used the exact same VID/PID/MAC's as the 918 (Intel primary, Asus secondary, or even just the Asus by itself).

 

I guess the only options are to replace the mobo, buy an actual Synology 10gbe for double the price of the Asus XG-C100C, or an Intel for 4x the price? Unless there's something real dumb I'm missing with the other images / extra files?

 

Otherwise I have everything working the way I'd like on the 918+. but transferring 40tb over 1gbe is going to suck.

 

Edited by DrKrieger
More info.
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I figured out a few more things!

 

This is looking to be entirely a mobo issue. CSM is disabled with no option to enable, so I can only boot UEFI. Options for an matx without UEFI are hard to find it seems.

 

From here: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

1.04b works fine with 918+, but I cannot get the 10gbe Asus NIC working, so I now lose NVME cache and possibly NVidia transcoding going to a lower version.

1.03 any version does not boot as it does not support EFI boot.

1.02 I can get working only with DS3615 and "extra3615_v4.9_test", DS3617 and 916 refuse to boot no matter what.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, DrKrieger said:

Unfortunately I only managed to get it to boot on the 918+ image with loader 1.04b, including the extras from "extra918plus_v0.13.3", but sadly to 10gbe :(

Mobo is an  Asrock X570M pro4 (Intel I211AT). No option to disable the UEFI boot on this board, so my options are limited... though I'm open to replacing it if absolutely necessary.

i can't see why the 10G card should not work, it should be a aqc107 chip and that chip is not new and there is a driver present in my 918+ package

check for the device with lspci (vid/pid) and check "dmesg" for anything with "atlantic" (thats the driver)

if needed i can make a newer driver and you need to check id its working (if it really is a problem with the driver)

(you only list 2 nic's one onboard and one 10G, that would be ok as the default limit of 918+ is 2 nic's if there would be a 3rd nic then one nic would be not usable without tweaking the config file)

 

46 minutes ago, DrKrieger said:

1.04b works fine with 918+, but I cannot get the 10gbe Asus NIC working, so I now lose NVME cache and possibly NVidia transcoding going to a lower version.

there is no nvidia support at all, syno's transcoding is purely based intel quick sync video, no nvidia drivers available

 

49 minutes ago, DrKrieger said:

1.02 I can get working only with DS3615 and "extra3615_v4.9_test", DS3617 and 916 refuse to boot no matter what.

can't say much without any logs but lot of people are using this so its working in general, 3617 should work in the same way as 3615

even 916 should work with a ryzen

Link to post
Share on other sites

afair there where people with Asus XG-C100C
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/31751-dsm-623-25426-update-2/?do=findComment&comment=156123

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/?do=findComment&comment=151119

 

and also on 1.02b with dsm 6.1

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9508-driver-extension-jun-102bdsm61x-for-3615xs-3617xs-916/?do=findComment&comment=81686

 

as asus is still offering driver 2.0.15 on its website it might be possible to assume that there is no newer hardware for at least two years that would need a newer driver

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

i can't see why the 10G card should not work, it should be a aqc107 chip and that chip is not new and there is a driver present in my 918+ package

check for the device with lspci (vid/pid) and check "dmesg" for anything with "atlantic" (thats the driver)

if needed i can make a newer driver and you need to check id its working (if it really is a problem with the driver)

(you only list 2 nic's one onboard and one 10G, that would be ok as the default limit of 918+ is 2 nic's if there would be a 3rd nic then one nic would be not usable without tweaking the config file)

 

there is no nvidia support at all, syno's transcoding is purely based intel quick sync video, no nvidia drivers available

 

can't say much without any logs but lot of people are using this so its working in general, 3617 should work in the same way as 3615

even 916 should work with a ryzen

 

 

Using 1.04b, "synoboot-ds918", "extra918plus_v0.13.3" (which should have the drivers?), updated to DSM_DS918+_25426  - works with the onboard Intel, but never detected the Asus 10gbe. Even switching their positions so the Asus was first of the two mac's in config file, only have the two. I'm honestly confused too.

 

If 1.04b eventually supports DS3615 I'm almost positive it will work fine.

 

As for lspci and dmesg - telnet to the system and run from command line?

 

1.04b - works (so far) with 918 but doesn't detect the 2nd nic.  Only changed the VID/PID/mac1 and mac2. Left serial alone as I won't be remote accessing it.

1.03b loaders won't work as my system only supports UEFI, can't enable legacy. It never detects anything. Just boots to BIOS. Thinking of looking for a different board.

1.02b - DS3615xs - extra3615_v4.9_test - update DSM_DS3615xs_15284 -  flawless detection of both adapters.

1.02b - DS617xs - extra.lzma for ds3617 v4.8 - won't detect anything, never tried 916.

 

 

 

Edited by DrKrieger
missing line.
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

afair there where people with Asus XG-C100C
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/31751-dsm-623-25426-update-2/?do=findComment&comment=156123

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/?do=findComment&comment=151119

 

and also on 1.02b with dsm 6.1

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9508-driver-extension-jun-102bdsm61x-for-3615xs-3617xs-916/?do=findComment&comment=81686

 

as asus is still offering driver 2.0.15 on its website it might be possible to assume that there is no newer hardware for at least two years that would need a newer driver

 

 

 

Starting to lean more and more towards it being a mobo issue for the 1.03b loaders and not being able to disable the UEFI only. Those lucky folks can disable in on that system.

Went with the Ryzen for price and performance at the time. Starting to think maybe I should switch to Intel again. Can use QSV and people seem to have far less problems with xpenology

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DrKrieger said:

Starting to lean more and more towards it being a mobo issue for the 1.03b loaders and not being able to disable the UEFI only. Those lucky folks can disable in on that system.

Went with the Ryzen for price and performance at the time. Starting to think maybe I should switch to Intel again.

if the atlantic driver is not working properly it should be fixed, no need for 3617 as long as you have max 8 cpu threads and dont need the special raidf1 for ssd's

 

 

5 hours ago, DrKrieger said:

As for lspci and dmesg - telnet to the system and run from command line?

yes but i'd suggest using ssh, needs to be activated in the webgui

the vendor and device id's (including sub id's if present) will also be in dmesg

the mac in grub.cfg is only important when using wol, but in most cases its nice to see the same mac all the time

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2020 at 9:24 PM, IG-88 said:

if the atlantic driver is not working properly it should be fixed, no need for 3617 as long as you have max 8 cpu threads and dont need the special raidf1 for ssd's

 

 

yes but i'd suggest using ssh, needs to be activated in the webgui

the vendor and device id's (including sub id's if present) will also be in dmesg

the mac in grub.cfg is only important when using wol, but in most cases its nice to see the same mac all the time

 

Sorry for the delay, took forever to finish transferring (and making backup) before I experimented some more.

I have no idea what happened as I am using the exact same USB I created the first time with the 918+ files, but it let me migrate+upgrade and the Asus NIC still appears!

 

I would guess something with the card or driver version didn't agree, but it kept the working one from the 3615 install.

Either way, super happy to be able to transfer at 10x the speed I was before, and quite enjoying the performance increase going from 6.1 to 6.2 (noticeable difference to me).

 

Thanks for all the help and ideas!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.