XPEnology Community

Vsphere 5.5 DSM 5.1-5022 Update 4 file copy slow

HaywoodFloyd

Hey all,

Just wondering if anybody has seen a similar problem...

I have just booted my first XPEnology with ESXi 5.5. Install went fine and updated to update 4 with no issues. Many thanks to all who posted info and guides on how to do this.

Just in testing so far I have added 1 3TB VMDK to the VM and reads are not great at 60-70 MB/s and writes start out OK but quickly fall to 5-10 MB/s.

From the Resource Monitor I can see Disk Utilization pegged at 100% during these file transfers. All other resources are barely touched.

The VM is provisioned with 4GB RAM and 2 cores. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Haywood

Do you have anything to compare it to using the same hardware? Previous versions, bare metal, ect.

I have no experience with virtual disks for real storage (have only done tests with small vdmks). Most of us that use ESXI don't use virtual disks, we passthrough the controllers for our storage using direct I/O (VTd), or RDM.

This is why I dropped ESXi. The performance is terrible and anyone who says otherwise is deluded.

Backing up large mkv files to a 4tb USB drive took over a day under ESXi. Under bare metal I could back up roughly 6tb in waking hours, what's more I can do it over USB 3 which cannot be done under a virtual environment (or at least not on 5.1 which whilst not the most up to date version of ESXi is the best for adding additional hardware without really fiddling with files).

Copying files from one drive to another within DSM was just as poor, if I did anything else within Syno whilst copying in many cases the copy would simply fail.

Unless you absolutely need to have an additional machine running from the hardware I'd drop the Virtual environment all together. If you need a second machine for anything special why not run a PI powered directly from the back? That's what I plan on doing, I wanted the virtual machine to run Google Play Music Manager which isn't available on DSM. Once I can be bothered I'm gonna run a low key linux/win10 Pi2 straight off the back of the N54. Problem solved.

Have a look in the BIOS for hard drive caching options. ESXi waits for the drive to confirm the data has been written before writing the next. If that is your issue, you'll see the file copy start quickly and then drop to a few MB/sec. With the cache enabled it confirms writing straight away.