XPEnology Community

Help how to clone system hdd to smaller SSD?

WebGuest

Hello!

Once apon a time then i bought my DS1513+ where installed WD Green 2Tb HDD as system disk and DSM created some system partitions with large 1.8Tb main partition (only 22gb used  space). Yesterday i tried to clone it to new SSD 128Gb but...

I tested Acronis True Image, Disk Director (also as boot iso), Paragon Partition Manager, GParted boot iso but unfortunately this softwares says same - not enough space on target SSD while used clone tool. This software can't shrink large HDD partition :(

GParted shows me that main HDD partition has "linux-raid" file system but i don't know why fs is linux-raid because only 1 system hdd installed.

My problem is how to close 2Tb HDD to smaller 128gb ssd? May be where is some commands via ssh to change main partition size or some other ways to clone?

Presuming it's EXT4, there is no way in DSM, but you will need to shrink the partition size first, then cloning should work.  The disk signature of "linux-raid" is fine, even a single disk is considered a raid0.  It will have to be offline for you to be able to shrink.  You'll need to have a bootable Ubuntu USB, with just that 1 disk connected, then you can use the "resize2fs" command.  Here is a basic guide for things...

https://snapshooter.io/blog/how-to-grow-an-ext234-file-system-with-resize2fs-

DSM has min three partitions as you see.

#1 is DSM itself (i.e. Linux)

#2 is swap

#3 and additional are for volumes built on the storage pool

As soon as you install a drive it is not Initialized.  That means the above partition structure is not present.  The first operation you do on the disk will cause it to create the DSM/swap partitions and it will be shown as Initialized.  Partition #1 and #2 are now a RAID 1 with the existing disk(s) so no need to manually copy anything.

Then all you have is your volume data.  Generally there isn't anything at the root of volume partition #3 worth keeping (usually metadata only etc).  However, you might have packages installed there, so just reinstall them to new volume.  All your general file-based volume data is downstream of the mount /volumeX. 

4 минуты назад, flyride сказал:

Partition #1 and #2 are now a RAID 1

As i see in storage manager my 2Tb HDD has SHR fs.

So all my steps are:

1. Install SSD to NAS

2. Create new volume with SHR fs? (not sure that understand you right, because if i create new pool of RAID 1 disks i need totally two new drives but i have only one)

3. Move packages to new SSD

4. Turn off NAS and remove HDD but SSD not or what?

Sorry, i'm little bit dumb in this🙂

SHR is not a filesystem.  It's an array.  If you have only one drive, it can be called a JBOD, RAID0, SHR, Basic, they are all essentially the same thing.

It doesn't matter.  You have a one-disk SHR/Basic drive now (which is just a RAID0) applying to your HDD Partition #3.

Depending on the version of DSM and hardware platform and the way you configured your original array, Synology may call an array a volume in a storage pool, or just a volume.

Install SSD, create a NEW separate storage pool/volume.  You don't need two drives, you can create a Basic or SHR with one drive.

As soon as you do this, partitions #1 and #2 will be created and common across all devices.  They ignore the layout of other arrays/storage pools/etc.

Once you have two volumes (one on HDD and one on SSD), you can even move shares straight over using Control Panel.  Again, packages may need to be uninstalled/reinstalled and data restored if applicable.  There are lots of online resources on how to do that (move Synology packages from one volume to another).

When all is complete, shutdown, remove HDD and done.

• Thanks 1