XPEnology Community

HP Micro Server Gen 8 Issues

nimbu

Hi Guys,

Having a little trouble with my Gen 8 and was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

I have previously installed XPenology on an HP Media Vault EX495 and my NL54 without any issues all bare metal. In fact the installation onto the gen 8 was fine.

After installing I created a SHR1 Array using 3 x 5TB drives that I had ripped from some Seagate external usb boxes. (I have used these drives previously in my ML110 without any issues).

When copying to the NAS (mainly using FTP), the file transfer stutters. Will start at 100MB and then move around all over the place. Web services on the NAS go through periods of slowness. Everything was fine until I created the SHR.

I then noticed in the Storage manager, under volume "Verifying hard disks in the background (checking party consistency. xx.xx%)

"Parity consistency check is currently running on Disk Group 1 and may affect overall system performance."

I set the box up on Friday night and its only got to 46%, is the speed of the check right? Ie should it really take this long?

So after some extensive research i found that this is common place even on real synology units. With the time taken proportional to the size and number of the disks.

i found a couple of hacks that would supposidly change some speeds however this hasnt made much of a difference for me. 33% to go!

hey i was going to buy a few of those 5TB external drives (STDT5000100) I read they are good but some issues is that the drive itself has a firmware that cripples its use if being used as an internal drive. i own a tricked out ex490 and was looking for the next best thing but im not sure if you tested the 5TB with that or not?. STDT5000100 but so far the 4TB are playing along just nicely

elu