XPEnology Community

moving from N54L xpenology to a synology DS415

Therion3

Hi!

I have been using xpenology ( DSM4.1, dont remember the method) on my N54L for a couple of Years but now it disappeared from my network and cannot figure why... I was thinking about switching to a DS415 (I have 4 HDDs in raid) but dont want to loose data of course (This is quite huge, about 8gigs).

Can I take those 4 HDD and put them in the syno whithout problem?

If no, what Can I do to This migration?

Thanks for any help :smile:

Come on, nobody has tried the migration from xpeno to synology? I think it should work without problems, since the operating system is on a usb key, but I have some doubts since a part of the os may be dispatched on the HDDs.

That would be cool to help me :grin:

Hey, thank you for your help!

The amount of data is too large, to do this, I would have to buy 4 other HDD to make the migration (8 gigs).

This is why I would like to take those HDD from the N54L and put them directly on the synology... I cannot afford (and do not have the use of) 4 more HDDs.

Suggest you to test it by building a simple raid with unused harddisk with xpenology, then move it to a real synology box.

From my point of view, it should work, as if you migrate a old synology model to a new model, you will need to migrate and install dsm, the raid structurenshould be the same so real synology should be able to pick it up

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, please check this out.

How to migrate between Synology NAS (DSM 4)

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... orials/484

In order to migrate physical HDDs from XPEnology to real Synology box without losing data, you need to match disk bay between model.

At least, real Synlogy box should have equal or greater HDD bay than XPEnology.

If you are using 12 bay XPEnology (ie: DS3615xs), then you cannot migrate it into 5 bay Synology box. Simply, Synology DSM refuse to migrate.

Hope this info find you well.

Ok, I understand the restrictions of quantity of drives in migration, but for clarification are you saying if you're using a DS3615xs XPEnology that only has 4 drives it IS or IS NOT possible to migrate them to a DS415 4-bay (for example)?

Yes, it IS possible. That document explains that, physically, 12 HDDs from 3615xs cannot migrate into 5 bay box. because there is no physical slot left on 5 bay model.

And Synology document tell us why we can't migrate 1 bay system into multi bay system (vice versa). Simply 1 bay system is using different file system than others.

If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Each HDD has hidden partition which contains Synology DSM.

Once HDD got initialized, DSM creates 3 partition (EXT3 for DSM, SWAP partition, Raw data partition)

I think 1 bay box is using EXT3 for data, and multi bay box is using EXT4 for data. that's why we can't migrate HDD from 1 bay system into multi bay box.

So I'm assuming that Synology is checking where the HDD is come from or how many HDD is in use.

Let me play with XPEnology a little bit more.

In the meantime, I'm going to demonstrate requested scenario.

Hope this works, I'll share the result.

Edited by Guest

My conclusion, if physical HDD count doesn't exceed bay slot, migration is doable.

When I migrate HDD into new system, Synology seems recognize HDD configuration & update DSM partition for target system which include HDD configuration info as well.

I was able to migrate data from DS1515+ to DS3615xs. all data has preserved.

ROrH4mW.png

Also I was able to migrate data from DS3615xs to DS3411RP. I didn't lose any data.

qKYy2rY.png

Edited by Guest

Great, then we're on the same page with the same understanding but no proven example to point to. Thank you for your willingness to demonstrate the scenario. I know I won't be the only one here to benefit from gaining a definite answer. Theoretical answers are not so reassuring when you're talking about mass amounts of data and performing a procedure that may or may not destroy that data. Thank you, I'm eager to hear what you find.