XPEnology Community

Western digital white series and HP microserver N54L

pehun

Have a look here (Satdream 3.5" Western Digital)

wd.jpg

I compiled (and maintain up to date) overall Western Digital HDD, with each certified core product (eg. cad US7SAP) and different branding reuse, the 3.3v pin is Power Disable function of SATA 3.2+ and next release, and only on limited models (and not all in the same capacity !), check the line 3.3v pin issue. Btw, the 3.3v is not affecting most of NAS or microserver etc. as not cabled, but if any issue, alternative to kapton is simply a Molex/SATA supply changer ... 

Personnaly I have 6x 14TB + 6x 12TB in HP microserver Gen 8 with extension SAS card with disks in a rack ... working perfectly !

Same available for Toshiba and Seagate ... 3.5" Synthesis

Edited by satdream

On 9/10/2020 at 12:22 AM, satdream said:

Have a look here (Satdream 3.5" Western Digital)

wd.jpg

I compiled (and maintain up to date) overall Western Digital HDD, with each certified core product (eg. cad US7SAP) and different branding reuse, the 3.3v pin is Power Disable function of SATA 3.2+ and next release, and only on limited models (and not all in the same capacity !), check the line 3.3v pin issue. Btw, the 3.3v is not affecting most of NAS or microserver etc. as not cabled, but if any issue, alternative to kapton is simply a Molex/SATA supply changer ... 

Personnaly I have 6x 14TB + 6x 12TB in HP microserver Gen 8 with extension SAS card with disks in a rack ... working perfectly !

Same available for Toshiba and Seagate ... 3.5" Synthesis

Thanks a lot!

The 2 disks are working perfectly in my G7 without any modification!!

:)

How do you do to put 6 disks in a g8?

Do you have any photos?

Il y a 1 heure, pehun a dit :

Thanks a lot!

The 2 disks are working perfectly in my G7 without any modification!!

:)

How do you do to put 6 disks in a g8?

Do you have any photos?

Simply to configure, but not "inside" the gen8 ;) , and it is 6+6 = 12 HDD ...

- a low-profile SAS card, a LSI 9202-16E which is a 4x ports SFF8644 = 16x HDD support (fully supported by DSM, but need MPT2 extended drivers)

- a 12 (1.5U) or 16 slots (2U ) external rack with SAS/SATA (= 3x or 4x Mini SAS SFF-8087)

- and 3x or 4x SFF-8644 > Mini SAS SFF-8087 cables ...

in my case I toke a 12 slots external rack, and I also use the 4x gen8 internal HDD slots but connected to the LSI card ... disconnecting the internal HP storage card.

Best.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 9/11/2020 at 11:37 AM, satdream said:

Simply to configure, but not "inside" the gen8 ;) , and it is 6+6 = 12 HDD ...

- a low-profile SAS card, a LSI 9202-16E which is a 4x ports SFF8644 = 16x HDD support (fully supported by DSM, but need MPT2 extended drivers)

- a 12 (1.5U) or 16 slots (2U ) external rack with SAS/SATA (= 3x or 4x Mini SAS SFF-8087)

- and 3x or 4x SFF-8644 > Mini SAS SFF-8087 cables ...

in my case I toke a 12 slots external rack, and I also use the 4x gen8 internal HDD slots but connected to the LSI card ... disconnecting the internal HP storage card.

Best.

Even more difficult... did you (or somebody else) manage to "exchange" wires (in an easily way) in HP Gen8  so "5th SATA" (the one we usually plug into a SSD disk) could be exchanged by "1st SATA" (one of the four normal hd slots)? This would bring two benefits:

1/ (main) Take profit of full SSD speed (because 1st SATA is SATA3 while 5th SATA is SATA2 so running SSD on 5th SATA is running it at half-speed).

2/ Direct boot from SSD w/o nasty tricks (currently, I need to boot SD card with a special boot loader that in turn jump into SSD boot loader).

Cheers,

-r

Le 28/09/2023 à 09:35, romansoft a dit :

Even more difficult... did you (or somebody else) manage to "exchange" wires (in an easily way) in HP Gen8  so "5th SATA" (the one we usually plug into a SSD disk) could be exchanged by "1st SATA" (one of the four normal hd slots)? This would bring two benefits:

1/ (main) Take profit of full SSD speed (because 1st SATA is SATA3 while 5th SATA is SATA2 so running SSD on 5th SATA is running it at half-speed).

2/ Direct boot from SSD w/o nasty tricks (currently, I need to boot SD card with a special boot loader that in turn jump into SSD boot loader).

Cheers,

-r

Hi,

I did not changed usual config using 5th SATA for SSD as cache for the system, and as you remark the 5th SATA port (as the port 3 and 4) only runs at 3Gb/s (vs. 6Gbs/s for the port 1 and 2) ... 

Personaly I did not see the benefit using a SSD for boot vs. using fast SD card to boot (it is fast enough from my perspective), btw the boot itself is not critical in terms of operations performance (once booted there is nothing to do with SD Card).

But in anyway highest speed and flexible configuration is mainly via an additional extension card to bypass internal SATA configuration limits.

Best

Sat.