XPEnology Community

Which loader for SAS drives

bateau

Hello folks.

I'm setting up a new XPenology instance in ESXi using SuperMicro X10SL7-F motherboard with an 8-channel LSI 2308 SAS adapter.  Which of the existing loaders/DS models is best suited for this purpose?  Just as an experiment I used 1.04b/918+, which appears to have installed without a hitch.  However, SAS drives don't report serial/firmware/temp in Storage Manager.  From cmdline I can find their basic stats with smartctl -all.

EDIT: After poking around the forum it seems that 3617XS might have better support for SAS.  Trying that out and so far seems good - network works, SAS drives are showing up correctly in Storage Manager.

Thank you.

Edited by bateau

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, merve04 said:

I'm pretty sure theres a extra/extra2 mod that needs to happen with 918+ to show hdd info when plugged on lsi card.

a older version (jun's original files) might do the trick but i ditched these drivers as there is a possibility of of breaking the raid with these drivers, i wrote it in bold red letters  in your link above to make that clear

i'd suggest using the 3615/3617 loader when using a lsi sas controller

I do remember reading that, but i thought you mentioned just disable hdd hibernation. I have noticed that all my attched hdd's have lost health info on all my drives attached via lsi controller.

All in all for me, as much as 6.2.3 "works", my plan is to offload all my data and revert back to 6.2.2u6, much more stable.

Edited by merve04

9 hours ago, merve04 said:

revert back to 6.2.2u6, much more stable.

whats wrong with 6.2.3?

9 hours ago, merve04 said:

my plan is to offload all my data

doing a backup is good but you dont need to delete everything to just install dsm, there are more then one method for downgrading

- using a additional disk with the target dsm version

- empty/delete the system partition (raid1 over all disks) using a rescue linux

- (change version number in the VERSION file in \etc\, \etc.defaults\) - i have not tried this for 2-3 years but if that still works it might be the easiest with the lowest impact in terms of what can go wrong, its just changing a text file when the raid1 over all disks is mounted in a rescue linux

"... not just with 6.2.2/6.2.3 it also happens with jun's original loader 1.04b and dsm 6.2.0 (23824), ...!

i was able to reproduce it with my new hardware and jun's original setup, this problem is about to stay with you when using 918+ and lsi sas controller even with 6.2.2

i dont know why its not seen that much in the wild, 918+ is used for two years, i guess most systems are apollolake based and ahci but even if its only 100 people using lsi ...

the only argument for 6.2.2 might be that we have the original source and kernel config for this version

synology did not release anything from 6.2.3, we got 6.2.3 working because some one found out it was working again with jun's driver so the change in 6.2.2 for pcie power management was changed back to its old state as in pre 6.2.2 and it works, we dont know why they didi it in the 1st place and also don't know in what way they compensated in the drivers or kernel source in 6.2.3

but when it comes to security updates it needs to be 6.2.3, 6.2.2 did not get any update since 6.2.3 was released

Not sure what to say, every single version of 6.2 up to 6.2.2, dsm has displayed all the info correctly on the hdd's via my lsi 9211. Fully aware your extra was to break that, its just the little things i guess 🤷‍♂️

Why is it not an issue on 3615\17? Different kernel? Its too bad a workaround for trans coding on those machines hasn't been figured out. If plex had hw support on 3615, id switch back it.

32 minutes ago, merve04 said:

ot sure what to say, every single version of 6.2 up to 6.2.2, dsm has displayed all the info correctly on the hdd's via my lsi 9211. Fully aware your extra was to break that, its just the little things i guess

there is a version with jun's files for 6.2.3 so its possible to have smart and temp with 6.2.3 but risk of data loss

the "normal" version contains newly compiled files from 6.2.2. kernel source, no data loss in tests but missing smart/temp, maybe it needs some special synology settings in the kernel config for sas, for 918+ i used the config synology used for its apollolake systems and added the normal sas/scsi and mpt drivers

maybe there are some specific syno kernel extension that need to be activated too, that would need a detailed comparison of the apollolake and bromolow kernel config, and thats might be difficult as both are completely different kernels (3.10.105 vs 4.4.59)

39 minutes ago, merve04 said:

Why is it not an issue on 3615\17?

its native support from synology in the kernel and driver (3617 even uses a newer mpt3sas driver from external source), the scsi/sas support in 918+ is completely added and earlier versions (like 916+) did not came with that from jun

39 minutes ago, merve04 said:

Different kernel? Its too bad a workaround for trans coding on those machines hasn't been figured out. If plex had hw support on 3615, id switch back it.

if some one backports a recent i915 driver to kernel 3.10.105 you could have intel qsv support in 3615/17

its also possible to compile nvidia drivers for 3615/17 and use synologys NVIDIA Runtime Library package (made for DVA3219) to get transcoding support

i could not test in that direction as i only had a newer nvidia card for a short time and all natively working packages need payment to work with transcoding and i'm not shelling out money for anything in will never use (the docker based free trancoding version does not work, needed even more work to get this into docker), even the (external) ffmpeg version as package does not contain nvidia support and i would even have to build that too by myself (still for something i dont need and dont have hardware for - guess what, i gave up on that, to much hassle and work for nothing, there is a thread about this buried deeper in the forum)

there might be hope with 7.0, in that dsm version 3617 uses the same kernel as 918+ and that would at least make it possible to have the i915 driver from 918+ in 3617 (i could be compiled and added by extra.lzma)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2020 at 12:57 PM, asdfaeeee said:

Hi, I've managed to install 3617 on ESXI but couldn't managed to get my LSI 2008 to show up on synology. My LSI works with Freenas VM so it's a working card. How do I go about fixing this? Can you share your setting?

I don't think I did anything special with my ESXi host.  Passed the LSI controller to XPenology and it "just works" 

15 hours ago, bateau said:

I don't think I did anything special with my ESXi host.  Passed the LSI controller to XPenology and it "just works" 

What version of ESXI are you running? And which DSM do you use for your 3617? What is your baremetal spec? Thanks.

Edited by asdfaeeee