XPEnology Community

Transcoding on Asrock Q1900-itx

Stargate

Question

3 answers to this question

If I remember correctly, you're using Jun's loader 1.02b, and if you have dev/dri I suppose it's a DS916+.
I understand you would like to make hardware acceleration transcode work in Video Station but I think the main problem is your cpu. It's a Bay Trail J1900, with integrated GPU "Intel® HD for Atom serie Z3700" and its specs might be too far away from the specs of the real DS916+, equipped with a N3710 Braswell CPU (HD Graphics 405 igpu).
So, from my point of view, it's not surprising VideoStation can't work with your cpu's IGPU because it certainly lacks lots of hardware transcode instructions and features needed by this synology package. Plex/Emby/Jellyfin can hardware transcode because those softwares are not hardware dependant and more versatiles, so your only solution is to use one of them or change your hardware for a more recent one. 

If you want to stick with the Q1900, I would suggest Jellyfin which is totally free, Plex and Emby will ask for a monthly/annual/lifetime fee to use hardware transcoding feature, but keep in mind your igpu is too weak to get good hardware transcoding results,  don't expect too much and recent codecs like HEVC will surely fail to play.

1 hour ago, pmchan said:

If I remember correctly, you're using Jun's loader 1.02b, and if you have dev/dri I suppose it's a DS916+.
I understand you would like to make hardware acceleration transcode work in Video Station but I think the main problem is your cpu. It's a Bay Trail J1900, with integrated GPU "Intel® HD for Atom serie Z3700" and its specs might be too far away from the specs of the real DS916+, equipped with a N3710 Braswell CPU (HD Graphics 405 igpu).
So, from my point of view, it's not surprising VideoStation can't work with your cpu's IGPU because it certainly lacks lots of hardware transcode instructions and features needed by this synology package. Plex/Emby/Jellyfin can hardware transcode because those softwares are not hardware dependant and more versatiles, so your only solution is to use one of them or change your hardware for a more recent one. 

If you want to stick with the Q1900, I would suggest Jellyfin which is totally free, Plex and Emby will ask for a monthly/annual/lifetime fee to use hardware transcoding feature, but keep in mind your igpu is too weak to get good hardware transcoding results,  don't expect too much and recent codecs like HEVC will surely fail to play.

Hi, thanks for your answer. My Q1900-itx is running Dsm 6.2.1. on DS918+ with Jun's loader 1.0.4b. I used a 916+ serial. Would it be a problem to a DS916+ serial?

I'd rather transcode with Video Station because Plex does not allow the system to hibernate (same problem with emby I think).

I've read about Jellyfin, bug I have not tried.

Would you recommend me to downgrade to dsm 6.1.7 with a Ds3515, Ds3516 or Ds3517? Would that downgrade allow me to transcode with my Q1900-itx?

Thank you very much.

I am finally able to transcode by using Emby. I could also transcode under Plex, but it was smoother on Emby. Plex didn't allow the drives the hibernate, whereas Emby does (you need to disable automatic port mapping if you want the drives to hibernate).

I don't know if it is hardware transcoding or software transcoding (does software transcoding exist?). I just know I can play h265 video on my old Samsung TV, and I can play old avi videos in my new LG tv.