XPEnology Community

NAS custom build

vashrulez

Hello i'm approaching for the first time to the NAS/XPEnology world and i'd like to be helped concerning some doubt that i've encountered.

First of all, I need to create a custom pc/nas with 8 sata port, for this reason i'm going to purchase the following items

cpu A6-7400K (TDP = 45W)

mb GIGABYTE GA-F2A88X-D3H (8x sata 3 connectors)

ram 2x Kingston HyperX Savage 4GB 1600MHz DDR3

case cooler master silencio 652s

psu be quiet straight power 400w

optical Pioneer DVR-221BK

Do you think that the configuration will fit well to XPEnology? any suggestion will be much appreciated.

Talking about storage at the moment i've three 2tb ntfs disks, already filled with several contents, my goal is insert them into my custom build, leave them as single disks (no raid). Is it possible? i will forced to format them due to the file system ntfs?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Would suggest using an intel board with intel network adapters.

I use a C2750, and bought it because its all intel, and it has not had issues. If you read through the thread on DSM 5.1, a lot of people have issues with non intel SATA controllers and network adapters. Most of it is resolved now, but the problems existed in the beginning. I think using intel will make it likely that you will have the drivers needed from the get go.

If you are a super Linux guy, you might be able to compile and add drivers to the image on your own. I am not a huge Linux guy though.

No optical drive, since it will not work with DSM anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
Would suggest using an intel board with intel network adapters.

I use a C2750, and bought it because its all intel, and it has not had issues. If you read through the thread on DSM 5.1, a lot of people have issues with non intel SATA controllers and network adapters. Most of it is resolved now, but the problems existed in the beginning. I think using intel will make it likely that you will have the drivers needed from the get go.

If you are a super Linux guy, you might be able to compile and add drivers to the image on your own. I am not a huge Linux guy though.

No optical drive, since it will not work with DSM anyway.

I am planning to build my NAS using a Supermicro A1SAi-2750, 16GB and 6 x 6TB WD Red.

How is your build spec. thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk