XPEnology Community

crashed hdd wd red

pwvandeursen

Hi all,

yesterday I got a warning in my DSM that my volume had crashed. the DSM asked me to reboot which I havent done yet, i.e. the synology is still running.

My system is the following:

asrock q1900

2 * wd 3tb red nas

both in basic (no protection)

volume 1 is crashed.

In the file manager I can still see some of my documents. in other folder nothing is visible anymore. The strange thing is I can't copy anything from the volume 1 to volume 2, even if the filemanager sees the files.

What can I do, or is all the data basically lost? I just ordered 2 extra drives, hopefully to download some of the data, if not to set up a RAID to not have this hapen again. some of the data was backed up, but not all of it (most important, i.e. foto, music, docs where, all the films serie etc are lost. 1.7TB of data.. :sad:

any help is appriciated

thanks for the reply. which did you try the other solution he is referring to or the one in the answer?

I don't have a linux machine, so could try with a live boot CD, and the connect the drive with a USB cable to the laptop with Ubuntu. would that work?

How do I check which sdc my drive is?

I tried the one in the answer.

For the drive to be attached to the USB you need an adapter with external power.

Easiest check is

sudo fdisk -l

and the answer will be something like

Disk /dev/sda: 8589 MB, 8589934592 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1044 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00008ec7

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1        1013     8136891   8e  Linux LVM
/dev/sda2            1014        1044      249007+   5  Extended
/dev/sda5            1014        1044      248976   83  Linux

You have to identify your wd red drive and change the

mdadm -A --verbose --run /dev/md3 /dev/sdX5

accordingly. If you have only 1 drive attached to the computer it should be sda, if you have 2 it's either sda or sdb ...