XPEnology Community

DSM 4.2-3211 for ESXi?

Panja

First of all I would like to point out I'm not some arrogant impatient guy who's going to spam his sh*t here. :cool:

I'm just checking out if someone is going to release build 3211 soon?

Not because I want to hurry or push someone but because at the moment I have been testing 3202 on ESXi with great success (thanks to the idiot's guide :grin:) and now I'm at the stage of re-creating the VM (clean install) and go in to "production".

Mainly I have been using the XPEnology build as 2nd Synology system next to my DS412+.

DS412+ is at home and XPEnology in a Data Center which hosts my Photo Station site and acts as backup for my DS412+.

With this in mind I want to go in to "production".

So my simple question: is 3211 being released soon? I have patience to wait! But if it takes a month or more, no problem at all, than I'll go for 3202.

Also if I can provide some help let me know!

I cant point it out enough this is not a question to push people, just want to get some info.

Thanks for all involved! XPEnology ROCKS!

Hi Panja,

My suggestion is to use the 3202 or 3202-repack as everybody found these builds very stable. I personally have a 3202 in production :wink:.

I can do the waiting part as well, but the thing is that Synology published the gpl sources just for x86 on build 3211 and nobody knows when they will publish what we need and want.

If you want, you can test the 3211 for x86. There is a nice thread started by a passionate fellow but try to understand the x86 limitations.

~

Vic

PS: my system never consumed more than 2GB.

Hi Panja,

My suggestion is to use the 3202 or 3202-repack as everybody found these builds very stable. I personally have a 3202 in production :wink:.

I can do the waiting part as well, but the thing is that Synology published the gpl sources just for x86 on build 3211 and nobody knows when they will publish what we need and want.

If you want, you can test the 3211 for x86. There is a nice thread started by a passionate fellow but try to understand the x86 limitations.

~

Vic

Where did you get the 3211 sources? With minor modification, that can be used to build the x64 bzImage (and they apparently use the same tree for x86 and x86-64 builds, only difference is the configfile).

The 3211 source is not on the SF page, latest is 3203, containing sources only for Armada 370.

Hi Panja,

~

Vic

I'll go for the 3202 build than. It works well on my ESXi machine so why not! :grin:

Thanks all for the replies!

Schnapps wrote:

Hi Panja,

My suggestion is to use the 3202 or 3202-repack as everybody found these builds very stable. I personally have a 3202 in production .

~

Vic

I'll go for the 3202 build than. It works well on my ESXi machine so why not!

Thanks all for the replies!

Hi Panja,

Do you install the DSM 4.2 build 3202 on ESXi 5/5.1 successfully? For my white box ESXi 5.0, SA can NEVER found the DSM vm, and I did change the vm NIC MAC to match the one that show in the boot screen. VM is built bases on 64bit other Linux, 256Mb IDE 0 boot drive, 100Gb PVSCSI x 2, 1G memory, 1 x NIC with mob MAC add.

So far, I can only load the XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.1 build 2668++, but the IDE boot drive will be changed during the PAT file installation. The system will stop at the first re-boot and have the GRUB 22 error. even I re-upload the VMDK file or lock the original VMDK before the PAT installation, neither of those methords work for me. Can you please give me any advices, many thanks.

netware00

Hi netware00,

I'm running ESXi 5.1 (build 1021289) with the 4.2 DSM build 3202.

I followed the Idiot's Guide posted here: LINK

What I noticed: after adding everything in ESXi the Paravirtual SCSI controller (for the SCSI disk) was not added properly.

So I needed to go to EDIT SETTINGS, tick the box SHOW ALL DEVICES. (see screenshot)

Make sure that SCSI Controller 0 is set to Paravirtual. Optionally I removed the Floppy Drive and CD-Rom drive, as Synology Devices do not have have them.

593ef3ac56e51_ScreenShot2013-06-03at19_36_42.png.768e71d7de4b448cbc831ed9f30936ef.png

Hi netware00,

What I noticed: after adding everything in ESXi the Paravirtual SCSI controller (for the SCSI disk) was not added properly.

So I needed to go to EDIT SETTINGS, tick the box SHOW ALL DEVICES. (see screenshot)

Make sure that SCSI Controller 0 is set to Paravirtual. Optionally I removed the Floppy Drive and CD-Rom drive, as Synology Devices do not have have them.

Thanks Panja, I actually have the same config as your vm, it didn't work, the DSM vm won't get the IP from DHCP server at all. I guess the odie82544 image doesn't support the vmnet3 NIC. I go through your LINK again, and find the mob version. Now the DSM vm is running perfectly on my ESXi server, thank you very much!! :grin:

Hi netware00,

Thanks Panja, I actually have the same config as your vm, it didn't work, the DSM vm won't get the IP from DHCP server at all. I guess the odie82544 image doesn't support the vmnet3 NIC. I go through your LINK again, and find the mob version. Now the DSM vm is running perfectly on my ESXi server, thank you very much!! :grin:

Good to hear it's working now mate!

Enjoy!! :mrgreen: