XPEnology Community

Link Aggregation (LAN port & USB port)

matogar

Question

Hi,

I have a LAN port connected to the router and additionally I have a USB LAN dongle connected to the router with another CAT6 cable.

• If I test the speed on the LAN port, it works at roughly 1Gbps and that is perfect.
  • If I test the USB LAN dongle it works at 300Mpbs, since my USB port is quite old.

I have tried to create a Bond (Adaptative Load Balancing), but looking at the speeds when I download a file, the NAS clearly do not use the two ports in parallel, since the download speed stays for some time at roughly 1Gbps and then it goes down to 300Mb for a while and the it does the same for all the time, what means the NAS is swithcing between the two ports instead of using the two ports in parallel.

Does anybody know how to do Link Aggregation so I can get one single connection with the sum of the two ports what would mean to have a total speed of 1300Mbps?

PS: I have a Wifi6 router and a laptop Wifi6 card, both with 160Mhz band, so there is no 1Gbps limitation.

Regards,

5 answers to this question

On 9/5/2020 at 5:36 PM, matogar said:

Thanks!

Bonding works  for single-user workloads and it doubles download/upload speeds if your hdds speed is not a bottleneck. You just have to activate 0 aggregation mode over ssh and it works like a charm.

I just leave my answer here so others would not get wrong information from the topic