XPEnology Community

XPEnology install on Baremetal Gen8

tkdarth

Hi all,

I have a Gen8 on order and I was looking at doing a Baremetal install of XPEnology on it and I had a couple of questions ?

Is the fan spindown issue still a problem for the Gen8 running XPEnology ? I've hunted through the forums and this seems like it use to be an issue but I can't find much/any comment about it recently.

Related to the first question, what is the latest bios for the Gen8 ?

Does quickconnect work ?

I have a synology box so I have some familiarity with the DSM , but this is my first more complicated server. Attempting to get a lot more bang for my buck rather than buying a 414+ . Mainly going to be used as a photoserver , video streamer and general backup.

Thanks

Tkdarth

So I installed XPEnology at the weekend and everything seem to work fine. The Gen8 came with the latest Bios and its also pretty quiet so thats another win.

I do seem to have a security warning about unauthorised access or something like that , is that because I have an actual synology box on the same network. Will changing the mac address and serial number resolve this ?

With quickconnect not a choice , I've been looking at another ddns provider to use. Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Yes I've been looking at changing my serial and Mac address , looking at the guide in the forum it seems to be talking about changing a vendor file. Which I just can't see looking at the files on my usb.

One of the files "syslinux.cfg" does seem to have a serial number in it , but this just looks like the boot choice menu.

Any tips on changing the serial ? I used XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.1-5022.3.

Thanks