XPEnology Community

Installing under Hyper-V?

mrme01

Hi folks, 

Is it possible to run DSM under Hyper-V? I have a hardware requirement that means I wish to run Windows.

Before another hypervisor is suggested, let me explain,

1, it's not what I asked

2, hardware limitations mean I can only passthrough one PCIe device. Either a GPU (requiring Windows for it's use) or a HBA.
3, I'm moving from ESXi to Windows, I currently run DSM under ESXi, and it's fantastic)
4, PVE is terrible.

If this is possible, could you please link me to any relevant resources, Google seems to be giving me old posts or sources that no longer exist.

Thanks in advance :-) 

1 hour ago, flyride said:

There are no suitable network emulated hardware on Hyper-V.  It has been tried but I'm not aware of any successful installs.

There are some scenarios where adding „old“ virtual nics helped but this is no joy. Sticking tabasco dipped fingertips in your nose is more fun 🙃😋😉

50 minutes ago, jensmander said:

There are some scenarios where adding „old“ virtual nics helped but this is no joy. Sticking tabasco dipped fingertips in your nose is more fun 🙃😋😉

Okay, so now I have to deal with this in another way.

So either manage my files with Windows in a similar way OR use a different OS to manage my files in a VM.

It's a shame I cannot passthrough two PCIe devices to two different VM's on my hardware.

How feasible is it to attempt to transplant what makes DSM work and it's interface onto a similar Linux distro? What would need to be done to get it to work like that? Even if it was just stuck to one version of DSM, we would have a much more friendly Linux environment.

41 minutes ago, mrme01 said:

How feasible is it to attempt to transplant what makes DSM work and it's interface onto a similar Linux distro? What would need to be done to get it to work like that? Even if it was just stuck to one version of DSM, we would have a much more friendly Linux environment.

i guess its not feasible with all the protection and customization, much more likely to get it working with a custom kernel that is made from synology's but with more options, that would need some reverse engineering of some kernel parts that are no published on the kernel from synology (like synobios)  - thts the way it was done with 5.x, if you can contact @Trantor if you have skills and some time to spare