XPEnology Community

Chines MB, Xeon, 10Gb NIC, Adaptec

-iliya-

Result: Successfully
- Bootloader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.03b - DS3617xs
- DSM version: 6.2.3-25426 Update 2
- Additional modules extra.lzma: YES
- Hardware solution: KLLISRE x79 2011v2 / Xeon E5-2650v2 / 4x8Gb DDR3 ECC / HP_NC550SFP 2x10Gb / Adaptec ASR-71605 HBA mode / 16xHDD
As it turned out, a very good and cheap motherboard from the China $168 for a set with process and memory.
It also works without a video card, it only beeps for a couple of seconds at startup.
Need BIOS set for load from the USB flash drive as Legacy - don't loads from UEFI USB Flash

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 8/10/2020 at 2:49 PM, -iliya- said:

Result: Successfully
- Bootloader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.03b - DS3617xs
- DSM version: 6.2.3-25426 Update 2
- Additional modules extra.lzma: YES
- Hardware solution: KLLISRE x79 2011v2 / Xeon E5-2650v2 / 4x8Gb DDR3 ECC / HP_NC550SFP 2x10Gb / Adaptec ASR-71605 HBA mode / 16xHDD
As it turned out, a very good and cheap motherboard from the China $168 for a set with process and memory.
It also works without a video card, it only beeps for a couple of seconds at startup.
Need BIOS set for load from the USB flash drive as Legacy - don't loads from UEFI USB Flash

Hi -iliya-

I am looking to use the same HBA (ASR-71605) as you in a new build. I am most familiar with LSI cards, but the Adaptec one fits my needs (low profile, SAS ports along the long edge of the card, 12+ drives on one card). I am hoping you can provide some information about your experience, as the forum has limited information about this card.

1) is the extra.lzma required for use of the card?

2) Does the HBA provide SMART information, drive temperature, etc in Xpenology?

Thank you!

6 hours ago, R30730 said:

I am looking to use the same HBA (ASR-71605) as you in a new build. I am most familiar with LSI cards, but the Adaptec one fits my needs (low profile, SAS ports along the long edge of the card, 12+ drives on one card). I am hoping you can provide some information about your experience, as the forum has limited information about this card.

1) is the extra.lzma required for use of the card?

yes, jun's default extra.lzma does not have aacraid.ko

2) Does the HBA provide SMART information, drive temperature, etc in Xpenology?

as i heard today no, if someone finds out more, let me know (and maybe provide a patch?)

you might pm @SkyEyes he asked me today about driver support for Adaptec 71605e and the aacraid driver is already present in my extra.lzma, the card is working but atm, does not show smart or serial of the hdd

the next version of the extra.lzma will have a newer driver, but the problem might also be the way synology tweaked the kernel source and the lsi driver and that might leave out other cards as long as they don't get the same treatment (the problems we see with 918+ lsi sas atm might be of the same source)