XPEnology Community

help!! keeps becoming unresponsive!

gabeo

Xpenoboot, nanoboot, DSM 5.0, DSM 5.1...same results. Something is causing my machine to become unresponsive after a few days. Everything works PERFECTLY until then. Disks will hibernate, and everything. But after a few days, it stops responding. No SSH, no Telnet, no web interface. It will ONLY respond to pings. That's it. I even have a keyboard and monitor connected, and i can't even log into the console. It will let me type in the username, but when I press ENTER, it drops to the next line and never does anything. Sometimes, It won't even let me type the whole user name. I will type one letter and it will freeze. The only thing I can do is hard power cycle the machine. Not a peep from the logs, that I can see. Only a "disk station experienced an improper shutdown" after it's restored. What is going on here??? Any ideas??

Intel Core 2 Quad with 2GB of RAM.

Your machine isn't exactly "hairy chested", neither is mine. Mine will do what you describe if I run a few Virtual machines, or do somethingelse that will fill up the system drive (md0).

Try the command "df" in a terminal session, watch the % used on /dev/md0 - if this keeps going up and up over the course of a few days then something is filling up the system disk. What apps have you got installed?

Andrew

That's a good observation. md0 is a system partition that is spread across all the disks right? I haven't noticed that, or looked for that myself. I have nothing installed other than what is included in the basic installation. I don't do anything with this thing other than store my files on 2 volumes. I have a backup job that runs a few times a week to keep a backup of volume1, on volume2. I will do the following to watch this:

du -sh * /

periodically, to see what is getting bigger. then I'll go into that directory and do the same thing. weird.

So this morning I checked and the system partition usage had not changed. but by 10:30 am it was hung again. However, I was able to SSH into it, but i couldn't get it to reboot from the command line. I couldn't get any commands to run except basic stuff. I had to resort to the following:

# echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq

# echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger

This essentially tells the kernel to do a power reset. Same as pressing the reset button. I could have done this by hand but I'm not at home so I needed to do it remotely.

This is utterly ridiculous. I can't believe I'm having this issue. I'm at the verge of abandoning DSM and just installing something else. There is simply no reason for this. I'm so frustrated because I chose this because of its features and because it's Linux based. It should be rock solid.

• 1 month later...