XPEnology Community

Wrong CPU reported by DSM

downsyndrom

Hello,

I am new to XPEnology --

I just set it up on a bare-metal Supermicro X9SCL-F-O with a Xeon E3-1230V2, 16GB ram and 6x 2TB WD Green drives (various models)

DSM is reporting my 4-core (8-thread) E3-1230V2 as an i3-4130 2-core. GHz are the same (3.3).

Does anyone know why it's doing this, and is it normal?

Is it not utilizing the other 2 cores of the processor? (or does this really make a difference?)

Thanks!

If you have SSH enabled on your NAS, you can SSH into the server and issue the command 'cat proc/cpuinfo'. This will provide information about the processor identified by the underlying OS. It will give you information for each of the cores (or hyper-threaded cores) for your CPU. You should see 0 through 3 for the processor numbers if you have a quad core (or hyper-threaded dual core).

Hello,

I just set it up on a bare-metal Supermicro X9SCL-F-O with a Xeon E3-1230V2, 16GB ram and 6x 2TB WD Green drives (various models)

DSM is reporting my 4-core (8-thread) E3-1230V2 as an i3-4130 2-core. GHz are the same (3.3).

Is it not utilizing the other 2 cores of the processor? (or does this really make a difference?)

Thanks!

This is a long term problem, but only a cosmetic one. The OS is able to correctly ID the CPU and use all available cores, so while it is a bit disconcerting, it does not actually have a negative impact.

PS with WD green drives make sure to adjust tler value to max

Hello,

Thanks!

This is a long term problem, but only a cosmetic one. The OS is able to correctly ID the CPU and use all available cores, so while it is a bit disconcerting, it does not actually have a negative impact.

PS with WD green drives make sure to adjust tler value to max

What you mean to adjust tler to maximum? Thanks

I don't actually own any WD green drives, so I don't have the first hand experience, but the information is all over the place on WD Green drives having problems in RAID unless you use the WD IDLE utility to adjust the TLER value to minimize hard parks. just search and I am sure you can find it , if not I would start an appropriately titled new post.