XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2.3-25426 - 24 drives setup

Chuck12

I have the DSM VM setup (DS3615xs DSM v6.2.3-25426-Release-final) in VMWARE Workstaion 15 with mods to the synoinfo.conf file as follows:

maxdisks="24"
esataportcfg="0xff000"
internalportcfg="0xFFFFFF"
usbportcfg="0x300000"

24 disk slots are displayed within the Storage Manager overview. I added about 18 VHDs (20GB each) to my VM. The first 12 are shown in Storage Manager and can be included in a volume. The remaining VHDs are listed as ESATA Disks. I'm able to format these designated ESATA drives in File Station but what I'm looking to do is to have them populate in the Storage Manager to be used in volumes. Not sure what I'm missing to get them all populated within Storage Manager as usable drives.

Thanks!

After posting the above, I tried moving drives > 13 to SATA2:x in the VM settings.

Sure enough, the drives are now shown in Storage Manager and I am able to add them a volume just like any other drive.  Also, the graphic display of available drives is not like the other screens I've seen.  As long as the drives are seen and can be used, I think I'm good for now.

I'll continue to play around with this so more.

synology 24 drive.jpg

12 hours ago, Chuck12 said:

esataportcfg="0xff000"
internalportcfg="0xFFFFFF"
usbportcfg="0x300000"

thats not as it should be, the internal and external(esate, usb) disks are overlapping

that would be my choice for doing 24 disks

esataportcfg="0x0"
internalportcfg="0xffffff"
usbportcfg="0xf000000"

I'm curious since I don't use any virtual usb connected drives, does it make sense to zero the usb configuration out and just have the internalportcfg value only? 

esataportcfg="0x0"

usbportcfg="0x0" 

What would be the purpose of an attached virtual usb drive for? 

10 hours ago, Chuck12 said:

I'm curious since I don't use any virtual usb connected drives, does it make sense to zero the usb configuration out and just have the internalportcfg value only? 

What would be the purpose of an attached virtual usb drive for? 

you dont need to have usb configured, i never used usb storage with my xpenology vm's

On 8/3/2020 at 8:45 PM, IG-88 said:

thats not as it should be, the internal and external(esate, usb) disks are overlapping

that would be my choice for doing 24 disks

esataportcfg="0x0"
usbportcfg="0xf000000"

There's a pretty good explanation with visuals here: https://old.idmedia.no/projects/xpenology/adding-more-than-12-hard-drives-to-xpenology/#:~:text=in your browser.-,Adding more than 12 hard drives to XPenology,support 12 disks by default.

It's working great now. Thank you! 24 drives is more than enough for my needs. I have 13 drives and running two separate vms was cumbersome. 

I was pleasantly surprised that i was able to combine the existing shr drives from a second vm without any troubles. All of folder shares and permissions were intact. Just had to do a quick system partition repair and it was all good. 

To simplify in setting up for a friend that have more than 12 drives like i do, would setting the usb and esata ports as 0x0 be ok? 

18 hours ago, Chuck12 said:

To simplify in setting up for a friend that have more than 12 drives like i do, would setting the usb and esata ports as 0x0 be ok? 

in a vm its ok to have no usb but for a baremetal i would configure it, its not that difficult

also keep in mind that a bigger update (200-300MB *.pat file) will replace the system partition and reset the synoinfo.conf to defaults an depending on the missing disks there will be raids not starting or lost redundancy disks that need to be rebuild

• 10 months later...