XPEnology Community

Installation Issues but Should I Continue?

Korndawg9951

First of all this is awesome! Looks like exactly what I am looking for!

I have a Synology NAS that I use as my primary. However, I like backups, like a lot of backups. Backups of backups. I have a bunch of old hard drives I used to use in the Synology but they are all different sizes and I have been trying to find a way to utilize them. To save money, I have been trying to get one of my old PCs to be a cheaper alternative to buying another Synology. I have had issues getting XPEnology to show up on the network, but before I continue troubleshooting I just have one question.

Can I use all different sized drives to make a volume?

I have tried 1.04b and 1.03b  but it never shows up. For those interested my specs are below:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb Quad-Core 3.4 GHz Socket AM3 125W HDZ965FBGMBOX Processor

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH

1.04b needs Haswell CPUs or later. Chances for 1.03 loaders are low since your AMD hardware is relatively old. You could try the 1.02 loader but with no guarantee. 

Mixing different hdd sizes in classic SoftRAID will result in small volume sizes. The smallest drive defines the size. Example:

- 1x500GB, 1x1TB, 1x2TB & 1x3TB in RAID5 (one drive is used for parity) leads to 3x500GB -> 1,5TB volume size. 

Alternative would be JBOD, but this has no protection if one drive fails.