XPEnology Community

Open-vm-tools v9.4.6 for XPEnology

sancome

by using this spk, will display the DNS name and IP address in the vmware client, and reboot, shutdown and boot the virtual machine, rather than directly off the power.

I recompiled it with the DSM 5.1 toolchain, if you encounter problems using the gnoboot's version(open-vm-tools-bromolow-9.4.0-1280544-50), you can try to replace.

In the following environment test pass:

VMWare Workstation 11.0

VMWare ESXi 5.5 update2

the latest vesion is "open-vm-tools_bromolow-5.1_9.4.6-1770165-3.spk"

Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nr8d24zqchzs ... p4gaJAfiTa

BTW:

there is a "shairport_bromolow-5.1_1.1.1-1.spk" file in the Dropbox, if you want to streaming music from you iPhone or iPad to the NAS with Airplay, you will like this spk.

Thank you very much for the new vmtools!!

I just updated coming from "open-vm-tools-bromolow-9.4.0-1280544-50.spk" to your new version "5.1_9.4.6-1770165-3" (of course with first deinstall the old tools and afterwards install the new tools). The vm is already on the newest XPEnoboot 5.1-5022.2 with the latest Update "DSM 5.1-5022 Update 2".

It works out of the box without a reboot of the vm.

Now the IP-Address and DNS-Name from the vm is shown correctly in the vsphere client and as OS there is now "Linux 3.2.40 XPenology DSM". :grin:

Restarting and Poweroff from the vsphere client works like a charm.

Very good work! *thumbs up*

Guest MPaladin

Hello,

I'm feeling stupid with this update because it was working before updating DSM to 5.1 when I was in 5.0 with open-vm-tools 9.4.0

When I use this new version, it doesn't work

I'm in ESXI 5.5 update 1, am I missing something ?

I had problems with open-vm-tools-bromolow-9.4.0-1280544-50 and DSM 5.0-4458 Update 2. When I try to shutdown the virtual machine via the vSphere Client. I received the following error:

vim.fault.GenericVmConfigFault

After using this version (open-vm-tools_bromolow-5.1_9.4.6-1770165-3) all seems to work. Thank you very much.

By the way, I use a HP Gen8 micro server with VMware ESXi 5.5 (Update 2).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did a manual install of open-vm-tools_bromolow-5.1_9.10.0-2476743-1 while I had open-vm-tools_bromolow-5.1_9.4.6-1770165-3 installed and now Package Center does not show open-vm-tools installed. When I try to reinstall it, Package Center says it is already installed.

Any ideas about getting this working again will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Sancome,

thx for your efforts, but I get only errors when I'm trying to shutdown or reboot my XPEnology. Used both, the 9.4.6 and 9.10 versions, they both are installed fine in the XPEnology, but when I'm trying to shutdown or reboot the VM in ESXi I get these errors:

Vix Errorcode 1 and 3009. Both must mean, that the script can't be run?

Using ESXi 5.5 Update 2 and the latest 5.2 XPEnology Release. Hopefully you can help.

the "open-vm-tools_bromolow-5.1_9.10.0-2476743-1.spk" has been released, you can download it from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nr8d24zqchzs ... p4gaJAfiTa

sancome,

open-vm-tools-10.0.0-3000743.tar.gz http://sourceforge.net/projects/open-vm-tools/files/open-vm-tools/stable-10.0.x/open-vm-tools-10.0.0-3000743.tar.gz/download was released on 2015-09-10, would it be possible to get an updated package please?

if it is easier, would it be possible to provide step-by-step instructions on compiling open-vm-tools ourselves?

Thanks for all your great work.

the "open-vm-tools_bromolow-5.1_9.10.0-2476743-1.spk" has been released, you can download it from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nr8d24zqchzs ... p4gaJAfiTa

sancome,

open-vm-tools-10.0.0-3000743.tar.gz http://sourceforge.net/projects/open-vm-tools/files/open-vm-tools/stable-10.0.x/open-vm-tools-10.0.0-3000743.tar.gz/download was released on 2015-09-10, would it be possible to get an updated package please?

if it is easier, would it be possible to provide step-by-step instructions on compiling open-vm-tools ourselves?

Thanks for all your great work.

OK, I've built an Ubuntu 15.04 64-bit vm and updated it. I've installed the SynoCommunity packaging framework and I've managed to successfully compile a package from the syno git repo (Transmission) for the bromolow architecture (which is what XPEnology needs).

In order to compile open-vm-tools, I think I need to clone the git repo for open-vm-tools, create a makefile and then compile it for bromolow. I think the skill is in creating the makefile (the open-vm-tools documentation mentions GNU automake - which I have no idea how to use, yet)

I've run out of time today, I may get a chance to take another look at the week-end.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys...interesting read - i too have ESXi 6.0 with Xpenology running and have been looking for a way to use a UPS to gracefully shut the VMs and host down if required...looks like i have sourced a UPS, however need VM tools to be working.

Did anyone succeed in getting open vm tools working on esxi 6 with Xpenology?

Thanks in advance

• Polanskiman changed the title to Open-vm-tools v9.4.6 for XPEnology