Volume 1: 3x2TB JBOD

Volume 2: 9x3TB SHR 1

Specs:

- AMD AM2 CPU 4core

- AMD AM2+ Mainboard

- 4 GB DDR2

- Gigabit LAN

- 550W PSU

Recently i noticed that the system is a little slow for my needs. (PLEX live video transcoding)

Here is my question:

Is it possible to change the hardware (CPU, MoBo, RAM) without having to re-install everything or at least without losing the data?

Thanks for your advice.

The transcoding is done by your CPU. I think your CPU does not support hardware transcoding for the format that you are using in PLEX. So your CPU is soft-transcoding it which results in slow/bad video.

Can you tell us which CPU and mainboard you are running?

Most likely to resolve this you need to upgrade your CPU. Some AM2+ mainboards have a BIOS update available to make it possible to run a AM3 processor in it. Check your mainboard manufactuers website to see if it does. It can save you money in that way by upgrading only the CPU.

I would still advise to change only the CPU.

Look over here to see which CPU's are support by your main board:

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloa ... x?pid=2887

If you want energy efficient:

AM3 Athlon II X4 620e (with bios update 7FI)

Or Performance @95 watt:

Phenom II X6 1065T (with bios update 7FI)

Another performance @95 watt:

Phenom II X4 960T (with bios update 7FI)

You have loads of choices to gain performance!

A second hand AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition costs 30 euro and a AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 55 euro in my country... The prices are not the deal breakers.

Just wanted to give some info on this topic:

I switched from asus H81M-K Mainboard with Pentium G3220 to Asrock H81M-VG4 with i5 4590.

Had to reboot once and the Server was exactly the same. All 3 HDDs were exactly as before.

Unlight

I will also add... I've done a swap from old Athlon x2 3800+ to Intel Q8200 on nVidia chipset to E5800 on Intel chipset, back to the nVidia chipset with a x5460 Xeon processor...

Pull the thumb drive, swap the hard drives to the new system (or swap the system board) - every time it has found the drives and looks like the same NAS. No data lost.

Did you guys pay attention to the order in which you connected the hard drives?

Or is that not important?

I finally tried this and it worked fine, no consideration given to order of drives. Both Mobo's are Intel based with ATOM CPU but different generations. different chipsets. Everything worked

Did you guys pay attention to the order in which you connected the hard drives?

Or is that not important?

I finally tried this and it worked fine, no consideration given to order of drives. Both Mobo's are Intel based with ATOM CPU but different generations. different chipsets. Everything worked