XPEnology Community

LCD Display with Nas status / info

Acidmank

Hi All.  I would like to add a small LCD or Character display to the front of my case that displays the Nas stats.

Maybe and IP address, free space status etc.

I was thinking this could be powered / driven from usb and installed into a 5.1/4 bay

Anyone know how i would achieve this?  or even where to start? 

2 hours ago, flyride said:

Something like this, write scripts to push data to USB?

http://www.yoctopuce.com/EN/products/usb-displays/yocto-display

Basically yes.   I believe there are many usb character / graphic displays that should do the trick.

Many questions need answering :)     how can i read the info?        how can i address the usb port?    how do i send the data to the device?

You're asking a lot of general questions that need your own research. Suffice it to say that it is all possible. USB devices are addressable in Linux via /dev

To get you started: df will show you space stats.  ifconfig will show you IP address information.  You're going to need to learn some Linux shell scripting, and some utilities.  I suggest spending some time learning grep, awk, cut in particular.

5 hours ago, flyride said:

You're asking a lot of general questions that need your own research. Suffice it to say that it is all possible. USB devices are addressable in Linux via /dev

To get you started: df will show you space stats.  ifconfig will show you IP address information.  You're going to need to learn some Linux shell scripting, and some utilities.  I suggest spending some time learning grep, awk, cut in particular.

Im not afraid of learning and diving in.  I just need a place to start :)

Thanks for the insights.

Edited by Acidmank