XPEnology Community

Access Plex via VPN

Gronaldo

Are you using Plex app clients, or web client?

If you're using app clients then the server must be connected to your plex account, with established connection to Plex in order for clients to work correctly.

If your Plex Server is not connected to Plex account, you should be able to access your content via web plex client via VPN into lan, and using Plex server IP (I do this all the time).

Server is not connected to Plex account, i want to not rely on external interaction.

I am using Synology VPN server (openvpn) and official OpenVPN client.

So i understand this does not allow the app to function ?

What link to use the to access via browser, as i do get a login screen for Plex....

Currently trying 192.168.1.100:32400/web/index.html

Server is not connected to Plex account, i want to not rely on external interaction.

I am using Synology VPN server (openvpn) and official OpenVPN client.

So i understand this does not allow the app to function ?

What link to use the to access via browser, as i do get a login screen for Plex....

Currently trying 192.168.1.100:32400/web/index.html

I use local_ip:32400/web/index.html#!/dashboard. I think Plex requires it being linked to plex account... In the past it didn't, but after they put a lot of work into the webclient I think it might be a requirement now.

I'm doing exactly what you want. I use Synology VPN server. I connect to it with OpenVPN client on my Android Device. I can then go to local IP of plex server and see my media, or see who's currently watching stuff (as I share with family and a couple friends). But I also have my plex server linked to plex account... so that may be reason it not working for you.

It's not enough to connect to Vpn server for using Plex outside the lan, you need to NAT local lan to vpn lan as well. Unfortunately, Synology's OS doesn't allow that using 'iptables commands'. You can try other vpn solutions (dd-wrt. openwrt, openvpnas etc).