XPEnology Community

Need setup help with new 10gbe switch and Ds918's

I'm lost on how to set up my new switch. 

I got netgear GS110MX 10 port switch that has 2x 10gbe rj45 ports only. 

my goal is to make transfers faster via wifi from laptop, hardwire desktop and at least one of my hardwired Xpen ds918+'s, preferably the one that's all ssd raid 0.

Both my ds918+ Xpen have x540-t2 10gbe cards, and also a desktop with broadcom 10gbe card. 

My router is Google wifi.

Previously I had the desktop 10gbe direct connected to the ds918s and everything else using a 1g switch. I have cat6 and cat7 cables. 

Also, my internet speed is slow at 200down 10up.

My confusion is how do I setup this network the most effective way only having 2 10gbe ports on new switch? 

Modem to Google wifi to 10gbe port on switch? and plug other 10gbe port into ds918+?  Then maybe direct connect one or two? Confused.. 

Edited by Captainfingerbang

1G on desktop and xpenology are not used, 10G of both to the switch's 10G ports and the rest router/wifi to the 1G ports of the switch all devices use the same network range like 192.168.10.1/255.255.255.0 - that would be the most simple way to set it up (beside there is not much choice as its a unmanaged switch)

every device gets connected to the switch and the switch handles the communication between all devices

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_network

• Like 1

17 hours ago, flyride said:

10Gbe switches are still noisy and hot.  Why use them if you don't have to?

the switch in question is at least passive (13-15W) but still, two 10G ports are not that usefull when a 2port 10G nic is at hand

there are 4 or 5 port sfp+ switches for a little above 100 bugs

• Like 1

Excellent points from both of you Legends. i'm thinking im going to return it though it was only $100 open box

@flyride 

Alternative, get a 2-port 10Gbe on desktop, direct connect 10Gbe ports to NAS, don't use the 10Gb switch at all.

10Gbe switches are still noisy and hot.  Why use them if you don't have to?

I have 2 port 10GBE cards in all devices already. Desktop, and both NAS DS918's 

My reasoning for the switch is because my upload and download speeds within LAN To NAS via WIFI are terribly slow. Even to the da918+ Raid 0 SSD unit.

I thought getting a 10GBE switch would solve this or at least make it faster??

@IG-88

the switch in question is at least passive (13-15W) but still, two 10G ports are not that usefull when a 2port 10G nic is at hand

there are 4 or 5 port sfp+ switches for a little above 100 bugs

Ok, Lets Say i got a 4-5 port SFP+ switch. My cables/cards are RJ45 now so wouldn't i need an RJ45 to SFP+ adapter (at a cost of $30-$60 per) for each connection thence bringing cost to well over $200?

P.S. Another reason i got the Netgear GS110MX switch is because i got it open box for $100 Amazon Warehouse. Normal price $168.00

Edited by Captainfingerbang

8 hours ago, Captainfingerbang said:

upload and download speeds within LAN To NAS via WIFI are terribly slow

If this is your main goal 10G will not solve the problem. Your Wi-fi equipment should be the target. Most routers or SOHO access points won’t deliver large throughput. And if you use repeaters your bandwidth is reduced to 50%. Neighbors with Wi-fi and bad channel management can interfere with your local network. Beside that your devices must support the new standards in Wi-fi to gain most of the bandwidth. Standard APs don’t have features like intelligent channel selection, band steering, etc.

So updating or tuning your Wi-fi gear would be a better target.

9 hours ago, Captainfingerbang said:

I have 2 port 10GBE cards in all devices already. Desktop, and both NAS DS918's 

My reasoning for the switch is because my upload and download speeds within LAN To NAS via WIFI are terribly slow. Even to the da918+ Raid 0 SSD unit.

I thought getting a 10GBE switch would solve this or at least make it faster??

Direct connect.  Two devices on a wire are faster than a switch (nobody pipe in about collision domains please).  If it's not obvious, you will need a (unique) IP network for EACH connection.

9 hours ago, Captainfingerbang said:

wouldn't i need an RJ45 to SFP+ adapter (at a cost of $30-$60 per)

SFP+ to RJ45 $18 each at FS.COM.  But better yet next time buy SFP+ network cards and just use DACs (transceiver cables) for $15 each for direct connect.