XPEnology Community

Unable to create snapshot vmware 6.7U3 HPE Microserver Gen8

M1cro

Hi Fellows,

First - thanks for all your dedication with keeping this project so successful.

topic sais basically all. I am unable to take a snapshot of my xpenology.

DSM Version is: 

DSM 6.2.3-25426

Loader is: 1.03 Juns Loader

VMWare 6.7U3

VMWare Tools: open-vm-tools 10.20.0.1

Anyone got this running? I can remember i was able to take snapshots in an older installation von xpenology in the past.

Thanks for any hint :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for digging up this thread but the problem still remains.

Even powered off it is still not possible to snapshot which leaves me without a valid backup from a VM point of view.

Can I provide you with any information to debug further?

Thanks for your help!

• 2 years later...

Hello i am having a similar issue on ESXI 7 and DSM 7.1.1 / DS362xs VM which brings up the following message:

Create Snapshot

Key: haTask-10-vim.VirtualMachine.createSnapshot-1705

Description: Create a new snapshot of this virtual machine

Virtual machine: DS

State: Failed - A specified parameter was not correct: spec.deviceChange.device

Errors

An error occurred while saving the snapshot: One of the parameters supplied is invalid.

An error occurred while saving snapshot file "/vmfs/volumes/6356849b-20c8e8df-43fb-1c8341301fbf/DS@Work/DS@Work-Snapshot4.vmsn".

An error occurred while taking a snapshot: One of the parameters supplied is invalid.

i can find nothing on the internet for this.. any help appreciated

10 hours ago, WiteWulf said:

I suspect the problem may be that you've used the "@" symbol in the name of your guest ("DS@Work"), and ESXi doesn't appear to be delimiting it when it applies the commands to take the snapshot.

Unfortunately this does not seem to be the case.. i created a new VM with the exact same settings and used DSTEST as the name. Still get the same error...

I used the latesr ARPL image and other than that the rest seem to be standard items for ESXI (all disks are SATA)...

Is therea any other idea on how i could start to trace the issue? 

Create Snapshot

Key: haTask-11-vim.VirtualMachine.createSnapshot-2117

Description: Create a new snapshot of this virtual machine

Virtual machine: DSTEST

Errors

An error occurred while saving the snapshot: One of the parameters supplied is invalid.

An error occurred while saving snapshot file "/vmfs/volumes/635684b8-fc88458f-35c4-1c8341301fbf/DSTEST/DSTEST-Snapshot1.vmsn".

An error occurred while taking a snapshot: One of the parameters supplied is invalid.

9 hours ago, Gemic said:

Unfortunately this does not seem to be the case.. i created a new VM with the exact same settings and used DSTEST as the name. Still get the same error...

I used the latesr ARPL image and other than that the rest seem to be standard items for ESXI (all disks are SATA)...

Is therea any other idea on how i could start to trace the issue? 

Create Snapshot

Key: haTask-11-vim.VirtualMachine.createSnapshot-2117

Description: Create a new snapshot of this virtual machine

Virtual machine: DSTEST

Errors

An error occurred while saving snapshot file "/vmfs/volumes/635684b8-fc88458f-35c4-1c8341301fbf/DSTEST/DSTEST-Snapshot1.vmsn".

as an update.. i tried to copy the vmdk file to a folder outside of the vm folder (i guess it automatically copies the .vmdk and flat-vmdk (?)) and it managed to get a screenshot... its strange as no other VM does this but i will experiment a bit on this... and see if it works...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gemic said:

as an update.. i tried to copy the vmdk file to a folder outside of the vm folder (i guess it automatically copies the .vmdk and flat-vmdk (?)) and it managed to get a screenshot... its strange as no other VM does this but i will experiment a bit on this... and see if it works...

Ok so final update on what is working... the trick is to upload the vmdk files to a folder.. then use the datastore browser to copy them in the VM folder and use the copies when configuring the VM. i guess it is some kind of permission issue that is bypassed when creating the new files (copies)... its strange very few people had this issues though.. anyway... cheers everyone