XPEnology Community

Initial NAS setup without monitor

Spanner

Hello everyone,

so today I have received all the pieces and assembled my NAS using a asrock J4105, crucial memory and two Seagate ironwolf. 

I have attached the nas to the TV expecting to see the bios and, at startup, be able to edit the startup process to make it boot from usb.

no way, I can’t see the bios and also after detaching both hard disk and the corresponding data cables from the board there is no way to force start from the pendrive. 

btw lights on the case turns on and the case fan spins, so I wonder what the problem could be. Since there are no beeps at startup I assume the assembly is correct. Any suggestion on how to proceed without a monitor? 
thanks in advance 

I have also tried to hook up my laptop to the tv and, to my surprise, it does show it on the tv screen only after Windows has loaded, not during the initial start up. Go wonder why. Could it be related to the HDMI port itself in the sense that, if I use a dvi port instead will it make any difference? 

So I have reset the bios as suggested pulling the battery and the cable and tried to turn on the nas but no difference.

could it be that the pico 160 W plus the leike brick 150W is non providing enough energy ? but that is strange too as I have tried unplugging both HDD so the psu was just provinding power to the mobo and that should be more than enough 

still puzzled 

6 hours ago, Spanner said:

could it be that the pico 160 W plus the leike brick 150W is non providing enough energy ? but that is strange too as I have tried unplugging both HDD so the psu was just provinding power to the mobo and that should be more than enough 

still puzzled 

a tv might not have all the graphics modes a s a monitor, so it might not show some screens like text mode in the grub.cfg selection

if the system is set up the right way (usb boot passible) and the usb is prepared the right way it would be possible to set up the nas without a monitor (as its done on a original unit, they too have not monitor attached when setting it up), the usb should boot with the 1st option grub and the system should be found in network with the assitant

I will try to do again the usb stick to make sure it works fine and with the hope to be able to install without a monitor.

if the usb is done correctly will it start the process when plugged in to my laptop or will it work only on compatible mobo? 

In the mean time I was wondering if the problem could be the RAM that I am using:

Crucial CT4G4SFS824A Memoria per Portatile da 4 GB Single Rank x 8, DDR4, 2400 MT/s, PC4-19200, SODIMM, 260 pin.

from reading online the mobo seems very picky in regards to ram.

Anyone with the asrock 4105 as the same kind of memory?

thanks and regards 

s

Edited by Spanner

Yes, those Asrock tiny cpu integrated motherboards are very picky with RAM modules, I had the same problem when I was using a Q1900 so the situation hasn't change a lot.
Asrock maintains a list of compatibles modules for each motherboard on it's website and you better stick to it: https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/J4105-ITX/index.fr.asp#Memory
I can't say for sure it's the reason you can't boot but it might, even if Crucial is a well known manufacturer, the CT4G4SFS824A you own are not listed :(

Edited by pmchan

19 minutes ago, Spanner said:

if the usb is done correctly will it start the process when plugged in to my laptop or will it work only on compatible mobo? 

just to se it boot to the grub menu should work on any system (i assume 1.04b loader for 918+ with your hardware)

23 minutes ago, Spanner said:

n the mean time I was wondering if the problem could be the RAM that I am using:

Crucial CT4G4SFS824A Memoria per Portatile da 4 GB Single Rank x 8, DDR4, 2400 MT/s, PC4-19200, SODIMM, 260 pin.

most systems will indicate a "missing" ram with a beep code (if a small buzzer is present)

when you now have monitor you should at least be able to see a boot screen of the systemboard or enter the bios (if the ram is working)

Thanks for the support. So far I have decided to get a new RAM stick from Corsair, this time from the list, so Crossing finger it will sort my problem.

On the other end I have redone the usb stick but yet it does not boot nor from the nas, neither from my laptop although on the last one I might need to change something in the BIOS. 

I will keep you posted on the development 

Thanks everyone for the patience and great support.

Small update: with the new RAM I could see the BIOS and the installation went on smoothely  and now I have the OS installed and I have strted creating user and the driive pool.

However I am not sure why, the NAS is turned on and working, but this morning I can not reach it trougt my internet browser.

I have tried find.synology.com and http://mynas:5000 but I can get to the login page.

What am I doing wrong? (I am on the same LAN where the NAS is)