XPEnology Community

5.1 -5022 update 2 expansion problem

I used the test image to expand my volume with a 4th hd and it went well. :smile: Later I expanded with a 5th hd without any trouble.

I now tried to expand with a 6th hd and it didn't go well. :cry: The same problem I had with expanding before the test image.

Any suggestion why i could expand 2 harddrives ok, but not the last one?

Edit:

I also can no longer access my usb thumb drive, from inside dsm. And I have not ejeted it. Can it be some conflict somewhere?

• 3 weeks later...

I am also experiencing the volume expansion problem on a Synology DS1813+ configured with SHR-2. I had a Diskstation 1813+ configured with 5 x 4TB Disks in a SH2 Synology Hybrid RAID 2 (SHR-2) and was running out of space on volume 1.

I therefore purchased another 4tb disk and expanded the volume however, the volume size hasn't increased.

Volume 1 (89%)

Used 9.57 TB

Available 1.24

Volume 1 (Normal)

9807.85 GB / 11076.47

Disk 1 4TB Disk Group 1

Disk 2 4TB Disk Group 1

Disk 3 4TB Disk Group 1

Disk 4 4TB Disk Group 1

Disk 5 4TB Disk Group 1

Disk 6 4TB Disk Group 1

Disk 7 2TB Disk Group 2

DSM 5.1-5022 Update 4

6x4tb shr-2 should give me around 14.4tb.

cat /proc/mdstat

Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]

md3 : active raid1 sdg5[0]

1948779648 blocks super 1.2 [1/1]

md2 : active raid6 sda5[5] sdf5[10](S) sde5[9] sdd5[8] sdc5[7] sdb5[6]

11706850944 blocks super 1.2 level 6, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [5/5] [uUUUU]

md1 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1] sdc2[2] sdd2[3] sde2[4] sdf2[6] sdg2[5]

2097088 blocks [8/7] [uUUUUUU_]

md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1] sdc1[2] sdd1[3] sde1[4] sdf1[6] sdg1[5]

2490176 blocks [8/7] [uUUUUUU_]

unused devices:

not sure whats going on.

Boot img: XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.1-5022.3

So I had a 4x4TB RAID5 array. Tried expanding with another 4TB disk. The disk was correctly added to the raid5 array, but it kept failing on resize2fs.

Tried with the test img posted in this tread, and it worked right away.

XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.1-5022.2-215c67d.img

Wasn't this expansion problem suppose to be fixed in XPEnoboot 5022.3?

• 3 weeks later...

So I decided to setup again my N54L with DSM 5.0-4528 Update 2 and all 6 disks.

Worked without any problem.

I currently have a 4x2TB RAID 6 array on DSM 5.0-4528. Are you saying above that you were able to successfully expand your array with this DSM version (or I guess you're running update 2)? I don't have my 5th disk yet, but am trying to figure out if I should expect any issues expanding to a 5x2TB RAID 6 array.

Thx

Are you saying above that you were able to successfully expand your array with this DSM version (or I guess you're running update 2)?
No, I started with 6x 3TB and DSM 5.0-4528 Update 2.

I haven't read of serious problems to expand in this release.

Should I even loose a disk, I can be so sure that the RAID is to repair.

There seem to be much more problems in 5.1 with expand and repair!

Are you saying above that you were able to successfully expand your array with this DSM version (or I guess you're running update 2)?
No, I started with 6x 3TB and DSM 5.0-4528 Update 2.

I haven't read of serious problems to expand in this release.

There seem to be much more problems in 5.1 with expand and repair!

Thanks for the info.

From what I have read, I think I will stay at 5.0-4528 and try to expand my raid 6 in a few weeks when I get my next drive. I will update this post with results to confirm for others as I've not found anyone who has posted confirming raid 6 expansion by adding a new drive is working in 5.0-4528.

This worked for me - the trick I believe is to get syno_poweroff_task underway as soon as the login prompt becomes available on a startup, that way the services and packages that might start up and cause you grief in unmounting /volume1 are not yet running.

syno_poweroff_task -d
umount /volume1
e2fsck -p -y -f -v /dev/vg1/volume_1
resize2fs -fpF /dev/vg1/volume_1

• 2 weeks later...
This worked for me - the trick I believe is to get syno_poweroff_task underway as soon as the login prompt becomes available on a startup, that way the services and packages that might start up and cause you grief in unmounting /volume1 are not yet running.

syno_poweroff_task -d
umount /volume1
e2fsck -p -y -f -v /dev/vg1/volume_1
resize2fs -fpF /dev/vg1/volume_1

Unfortunately this didn't work for me as the resize command fails with "The combination of flex_bg and !resize_inode features is not supported by resize2fs"

There's no need to worry, I added a 4TB drive to my existing 4x4TB SHR volume on 5.1 5022-4 and it expanded with an error. When you get "failed to expand error", simply boot onto Ubuntu and fix the allocation blocks using the terminal.

Check this guide: http://idmedia.no/general/expand-volume ... esnt-want/

This guide did not work for me as there is an issue with e2fsprogs 1.42.9 where it does not do anything and show progress. There's a bug that's been submitted and users have reported going back to 1.42.8 works but I can't find any howto on accomplishing that task so I'm stuck.

*EDIT*

I was originally using the LIVE CD for Ubuntu 14.04 and the e2fsprogs in that is 1.42.9 but decided to try the newer Ubuntu 15.04 which has 1.42.12 and that worked flawlessly. I hope this helps someone out.

I was originally using the LIVE CD for Ubuntu 14.04 and the e2fsprogs in that is 1.42.9 but decided to try the newer Ubuntu 15.04 which has 1.42.12 and that worked flawlessly. I hope this helps someone out.

This seems to be the same problem that I had already with the version 14.04 of the Ubuntu Live DVD:

The expand method with Ubuntu from http://idmedia.no/general/expand-volume ... esnt-want/ didn't work.

Maybe the problem was the complete empty new volume.

Then it was probably not the empty Volume. :???:

I'm therefore back to DSM 5.0-4528 Update 2, but am going to remember your note if I update in the future. :wink:

Thanks for the information!