XPEnology Community

5.1 -5022 update 2 expansion problem

This test img seems to work correctly for expanding. Previous condition of my test array was that disks were added, but volume group needed to be expanded/extended. With new image I booted into DSM, then Storage Manager > Volume > Manage (TAB) > expand volume with unallocated disk space.

Array was resized in less than a minute :grin:

/etc/synoinfo.cfg was at default settings... they also changed back to stock, but I think /etc.defaults/synoinfo.cfg rewrites changes at boot... which is probably expected behavior :lol:

This image unfortunately doesn't work if you're trying to repair and then extend a disk :/

I actually replaced a harddrive with bad sectors for a bigger one and after the replacement DSM succesfully repaired the volume. After that I had the same problem as the rest in this topic when trying to expand the volume with the extra space of the bigger drive as DSM also suggests. However with this test boot image it was able to succesfully expand the volume, so it's in proper functioning order again. :cool:

Also got a problem here with SHR raid 5, added 2 disks to 1 volume SHR (3TB), after a few hours 1 disk was ready and the volume has 1 disk fault tolerance. But the 3th disk rebuild was about 1.5 days. After 100% i couldn`t expand the volume to max.

I used the test version and a few seconds later max volume. 3x 3TB (5TB affective).

I also used the new version XPEnoboot 5.1-5022.2 from XPenology.nl but this one doesn`t work to expand SHR.

Can i use the test version?

Also got a problem here with SHR raid 5, added 2 disks to 1 volume SHR (3TB), after a few hours 1 disk was ready and the volume has 1 disk fault tolerance. But the 3th disk rebuild was about 1.5 days. After 100% i couldn`t expand the volume to max.

I used the test version and a few seconds later max volume. 3x 3TB (5TB affective).

I also used the new version XPEnoboot 5.1-5022.2 from XPenology.nl but this one doesn`t work to expand SHR.

Can i use the test version?

Why not? It worked for me and some others.

I will test today with the new test image.

Curently I have the same issue with a 4*3 TB disk group, expanded to 5*3 TB disk group. The Disk group is extended with 5 disks, but when I expand the volume, it stucks, and after a few hours I can't connect to the synology webpage.

Another issue that I have discovered now, is when I copy data from the Synology disks, with more than 70MB/s after 30-40 min the server is not respinding. I can connect on CLI, but the GUI is down, and the mounted drive is not accesible.

Configuration:

5*3 TB Disks

Hyper-V - Physical HardDrive

I have tried to boot from the img( converted to iso, but it didn't boot.)

Can you help me with another version?

Thank you,

Adrian

I will test today with the new test image.

Curently I have the same issue with a 4*3 TB disk group, expanded to 5*3 TB disk group. The Disk group is extended with 5 disks, but when I expand the volume, it stucks, and after a few hours I can't connect to the synology webpage.

Another issue that I have discovered now, is when I copy data from the Synology disks, with more than 70MB/s after 30-40 min the server is not respinding. I can connect on CLI, but the GUI is down, and the mounted drive is not accesible.

Configuration:

5*3 TB Disks

Hyper-V - Physical HardDrive

I have tried to boot from the img( converted to iso, but it didn't boot.)

Can you help me with another version?

Thank you,

Adrian

Hi,

This is the iso version.

I'm using it in Hyper-V and works fine. I have expanded my volume and no problems.

http://1drv.ms/1vjzPae

Thanks!

Right now i'm checking parity, and whent it's finished I will try. What I have noticed, is that with 5022 without the update 2, the copy from the Syno Drives, no matter the speed is stable. I didn't need to restart the VM. ( I had to revert to 5022 because 5022 update 2 was stuck on quota check).

I will post later the result!

Thanks!

Right now i'm checking parity, and whent it's finished I will try. What I have noticed, is that with 5022 without the update 2, the copy from the Syno Drives, no matter the speed is stable. I didn't need to restart the VM. ( I had to revert to 5022 because 5022 update 2 was stuck on quota check).

I will post later the result!

It worked!

I have expanded the Volume on 5022 without the update, with the New ISO.

Thank you for support guys!!!

I'm stuck in expand from 4HDDs ~8TB to 6HDDs ~13TB :sad:

New N54L, 8 GB RAM set up with

- 1x 3TB HDD

- DSM_DS3615xs_5022.pat

- XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.1-5022.2.img

- 1 Volume

Online Update to 5.1-5022.2

- worked

- volume back after one reboot.

Added 3x 3TB HDD

- DSM integrated new HDDs

- Volume expansion to ~8TB failed

- changed XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.1-5022.2.img to XPEnoboot_5.1-5022.2-215c67d.img

- Volume expansion to ~8TB worked

Added 2x 3TB HDD

- DSM integrated new HDDs

- Volume expansion to ~13TB failed - stuck at ~8TB :evil:

- Volume is with no data or rights-management

:arrow:Any idea how to get my Volume from ~8TB to ~13TB?

may be it is you are helpful
Thanks. :grin:

Tried to translate your posting viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3059&start=1310#p32839 to English and German, but can't get a to-do-script out of this part:

Что делал и как лечил:

1. Произвел жесткое выключение, всавил шлешку NB 5.0-4528

2. Мигрировал на NB 5.0-4528 с сохранением данных (при миграции было уведомление что замененный мной диск будет переразмечен)

3. Загрузил DSM 5.0 и расширил раздел штатно - время примерно 5мин.

4. Мигрировал на XB 5.1-5022.2 с сохранением данных , обновил, перезагрузил (диски естественно пропали)

5. Перезагрузил ещё раз - диски появились...

:?: Is this a working solution to add more drives under 5.1-2222.2 AND expand a volume to the added drives?

:?: What should I do?

The expand method with Ubuntu from http://idmedia.no/general/expand-volume ... esnt-want/ didn't work.

Maybe the problem was the complete empty new volume.

So I decided to setup again my N54L with DSM 5.0-4528 Update 2 and all 6 disks.

Worked without any problem.

I will upgrade to DSM 5.1, when it's confirmed RAID-rebuild works with future XPEnoboot-version.

Thanks for help! :grin:

Same problem with 5022.3 :sad:

Xpenology is installed on my Proliant 40NL with ESXi and XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.1-5022.3

One of my drives is apparently failed, a 1.5TB drive. I change it directly to 4TB. I recovered, I asked to repair the volume, and Syno has stranded a few hours. My volume was repaired but oddly always the same size as before (9To instead of 12TB announced with this new disc).

DSM announced yet that my volume can be increased to 12TB. So I'm going to manage, and ask to expand the volume with unallocated space. It churns seconds the 0.0% and then bam, it gives me the message in red saying that the volume can be increased to 12TB. In short, impossible to extend it. It's really weird. So I have 2.5to which are useless now :sad:

Someone would have an idea of ​​the problem? The 5022.2 had a problem to extend a volume, but normally that 5022.3 corrects the problem, isn't it ?